• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Turbo Trans Problem

rcksvtcontour

CEG'er
Troy/Lansing/Commerce Township, MI/Sacramento, CA
Hey guys Just seein if anyone else with 3L turbo CSVT has had problems with the bottom driverside rear trans mount bolts stripping out of the bell housing. Im pretty sure its from not being abe to handle the power. Anybody have an idea what i can do to fix??? Ill get pics up soon to clear up any confusion.

Hey guys Just seein if anyone else with 3L turbo CSVT has had problems with the bottom driverside rear trans mount bolts stripping out of the bell housing. Im pretty sure its from not being abe to handle the power. Anybody have an idea what i can do to fix??? Ill get pics up soon to clear up any confusion.

I think your the first. I dont recall this ever happening to anyone. I was making 410 foot pounds of tq and never had any problems with the drivetrain.

never heard of anyone having an issue like that. sounds like an incorrect installation or loose bolts, etc ....

That sucks - I'm sorry though.. I laughed when I saw the title... :laugh:

If the bolts were loose the constant jarring on them would cause them to strip.

Your best bet is using helicoil inserts...

Its more likely that the bolts weren't fully tightened and stripped, it takes tremendous amount of power to strip bolts like that...

CopyofWittFall08andsteinryancarp-1.jpg

CopyofWittFall08andsteinryancarpics.jpg

WittFall08andsteinryancarpics085.jpg

WittFall08andsteinryancarpics083.jpg

WittFall08andsteinryancarpics081.jpg

Yeah Def.stripped the threads out Dont really know what to do?

Alright so spring is here and school is over got the car out of the garage. Ive been doing some asking around about Helicoil inserts and been getting mixed reviews about the product. What do you guys think of them Ive heard that they wont work because they are not weight bearing and will pull right out but Ive also heard that they will work so anybody have experience with Helicoil or used them before how did they work???

Hmmm.. I might re-tap it with a bigger bolt size, can't comment on the helicoil

good luck

Helicoil is stronger than standard

Helicoil is stronger than standard

The helicoil is nothing more that a stainless steel spring. Pretty darn strong. I have used them over the last 30 years and often would install them on the top ends of aluminum motorcycle heads so that when we took them apart (often) we would not have to deal with stripped threads.

The helicoil will be as strong as a larger bolt and will let you use the standard bolts so that you don't have to drill out the mount.

They are at least as strong as the original bolt

They are at least as strong as the original bolt

The helicoil is at least as strong as the original bolt. You cannot get different grades of strength in the helicoil.

Think about it, you stripped the threads out of the aluminum, not the threads on the bolt. A properly installed helicoil with a properly installed and torqued bolt ought to hold, unless you are REALLY hammering on the throttle, if that is the case, then it is likely that not much will help this issue.

You might check and see if your other mounts and roll restrictors are allowing too much movement and therefore stressing the rear mount.

What happens when you use stiff roll resistors. Something has got to give.

I agree and would suggest maybe an OEM insert in that mount instead of poly filled since your trans case is already compromised..... It will take some of the strain off the bolts and put it back into the stock resistor.

I would use a threadsert over a helicoil.

Helicoils are good but I've had better luck with threadserts.

Back