• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SE vs SVT clutch

BrApple

No Life But CEG
not sure if any pictures have been posted before but I have both sitting around and figured someone might be interested.

first a stock SE clutch with 95k miles on it. Sachs unit. Held stock/slightly modified SVT power levels for the time I was there without issue.

DSC05356.jpg

DSC05358.jpg

DSC05357.jpg

DSC05359.jpg

New SVT by Luk

DSC05351.jpg

DSC05353.jpg

DSC05352.jpg

DSC05360.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of the 2, after the incident with the 98, I started driving my 96 again. Man, the clutch and shifter on the 96 feels like cutting through warm butter. Pressing the clutch in the SVT requires much more leg power. Not really a complaint; more of a semi-on-topic point of view :rolleyes:.

don't forget that the 96 has a rod shifter and the 98 has the cables. I have always found the rod shifter has a smoother, more possitive, connected feel.

as for the clutch force. the hydraulic system should negate much of the difference but as you can see the pressure plate design is going to effect clutch feel and effort.

I know the SVT clutch is stiffer. It has a higher spring rate. However, on a new car the difference was very slight.

What you are probably feeling is the added foot pressure from a somewhat worn disk. As the disk wears, the leverage fulcrum point changes and pedal effort is increased.

This is normal for nearly all clutch designs. The only exception I am aware of is on some Ford light duty trucks where the pressure plate automatically adjusts to the thinner disc. If you replace the disc using the old pressure plate on that design, you must move the adjuster back to the original "new disc" position.

BrApple, thanks for the photo's showing the differences.

you could also try changing the brake fluid and bleeding the hydraulic system. its most likely over due anyway.

Nice, which car is the SVT kit going in?

for right now, neither. I picked the kit up two years ago when I did SVT cams and headers on my SE. we where thinking about pulling the engine so I wanted a clutch handy if I needed it.

However the clutch in my SVT drags from time to time. So after I pick a clutch for the turbo 3L and get it running again I will use the SVT clutch kit in the SVT.

I also noted that the SVT pressure plate is similar looking to the Spec pressure plate. In fact it appears they are both Luk pressure plates. however Spec could have changed the diagrahm in the pressure plate to provide more clamping power. Hence why the Stage 3+ grabbed very close to the top of the clutch pedal travel.

DSC05352.JPG

DSC05349.JPG

Last edited:
to bring this thread back I am adding some discussion on flywheels.

it is rumored that Luk sells a flywheel for our cars. What isn't known yet is if it is a Se or SVT flywheel.

I checked my stock Se flywheel and there where no markings on it but Ford markings. The SVT flywheel I have was lightened and it appears the material was removed from the back side of the flywheel so all marking have been removed. So if anyone can post what the SVT says or if it has any other markings then Ford on it that would be appreciated.

Back