• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How long has your ATX lasted?

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
OK, so I was talking recently with someone, and I kinda started thinking about how long these ATX's last before they need a major overhaul. I'm under the inclination that the pre98 transmissions seemed to have lasted longer, but I'm not sure. I'd like some feedback. :cool:

So, include your car year/engine, and how many miles were on it when it failed or how many miles are on it if it's still running strong.

Zetec
Still shifts rather smoothly, even though I don't let the car warm up in the winter. :laugh:. Occasionally bang shifts 1st to 2nd, but hasn't happened in over a year I'd say.

Mystique v6 1998
General pile of garbage trans=CD4E

Blew trans 3-4 years ago. (probably 90k) O/D light just started flashing one morning on the way to work. limped to work and back and then the weekend it just stopped shifting almost all together, trans was rebuilt.

Worked ok for a couple months after the rebuild now its a POS again. Car wont drive more than 45mins~ after that it violently bangs gears hard enough to nearly break traction in the tires.

Pretty much it needs another rebuild, but the car isn't worth the money/time being put it into it, so I'm just driving it local till it asplodes. Shame too, i love everything else about the car engine runs amazing.. Always have let the car warm up, not particularly hard on the car, but i don't grandma it either.

First and last auto car i will own until i can't physically shift gears anymore.

123K. The F/C/D cylinder ripped off the forward clutch snap ring end and pieces went through trans pretty much scrapping much of it. My rebuild at 40K+, runs fine.

'99 Sport 220k+ original trans. 4+ fluid changes. Has CEL for the trans clutches, but drives and shifts like new.

Duratec
79k miles
Runs like a top. Never ever had any issues with my CD4E auto transmission. After the car sat for a while the shifter was tough to move but it loosened up to normal after daily driving.

'97 Zetec
80k Miles

Tranny shifts like new, forced downshifts don't buck. I have yet to flush or really pay attention to the tranny fluid other than checking the level. Hayden #404 going in this summer.

FYI, mine ran perfect right up to the second it tore up on an exit ramp off freeway. Suddenly locked up wheels and then total release and nothing. All oil changes at 30K each using the 3X method. I understand that if that cylinder breaks, very often no warning at all. Seeing what happened internally later I can see how it would do so.

1998 Zetec

Flushed the tranny fluid after I bought it, and that's been it. Shifts good, pretty smooth. Vibrates a tad when placed in gear. Otherwise still happy with it.

FYI, mine ran perfect right up to the second it tore up on an exit ramp off freeway. Suddenly locked up wheels and then total release and nothing. All oil changes at 30K each using the 3X method. I understand that if that cylinder breaks, very often no warning at all. Seeing what happened internally later I can see how it would do so.

What year is your car?

1998 Zetec

Flushed the tranny fluid after I bought it, and that's been it. Shifts good, pretty smooth. Vibrates a tad when placed in gear. Otherwise still happy with it.
Check your left/right motor mounts. That is what causes the vibration in gear when stopped.

Mar. '98. ALL earlier CD4E have the potential problem since the snap ring groove is a known problem. Ford has made running changes trying to correct the problem but by doing things indirectly rather than changing the part. There are some later cylinders that are made pretty much bulletproof, I have one in my car.

186,500 on my 98. Went through a torque converter and valve body and added a cooler around 135K.

Looks like it's going to need a new DTR sensor soon, though...

1998.5 contour SE (zetec) 184k replaced the MLPS added an inline filter and hayden cooler. i also swap out about 4.5 quarts of tranny fluid with each oil change. shifts ok, bangs the 1-2 once in awhile.

FYI on at least the early '98 models there was some type of notice sent out about occasional harsh 1-2 shift in normal transmissions. Occurs when you gas it up somewhat then suddenly let back off just before the shift. Hits too hard then. Usually in slow roll traffic jams when someone opens up space in front of you for a second and then you use it up right at shift time. There was a reflash to software that was supposed to cure it.

FYI on at least the early '98 models there was some type of notice sent out about occasional harsh 1-2 shift in normal transmissions. Occurs when you gas it up somewhat then suddenly let back off just before the shift. Hits too hard then. Usually in slow roll traffic jams when someone opens up space in front of you for a second and then you use it up right at shift time. There was a reflash to software that was supposed to cure it.

This is exactly what my 1996 does sometimes. I used to be able to MAKE it do it on command, but it hasn't done it in over a year now. Weird.

I've learned to not jump on it and then let off all the way. Moderation in throttle falloff will stop it. Basically PCM just takes a bit too long to realize that throttle just let back off. The reflash addresses that timing issue.

do i need to go to the stealership for this reflash? also was it a recall or a tech bulletin?

Not a recall, done at the dealership. For complainers only.

135K on my daughters 99 Duratec. Starting to slip badly. No rhyme or reason to when it doesn't. Anytime it wants in any gear it wants. I have a BAD feeling it is on its way out. How much does a rebuild typically cost on these?

my old 98 had 220,xxx km and the tranny was good....did the 1st to 2nd bang occasionally but never had a problem with it.

Back