• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shift Cable Plastic Bracket

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
Hey everyone. Can someone please tell me if i'm gonna need new shift cables? Or is there some rigging i can do to get it to work? The round plastic piece that clips into the shift tower bracket on one of the cables is broken. I can get into 1st, 3rd, & 5th. But 2nd, 4th, & R are posing problems. I've tried numerous times to adjust & readjust. No go. I do believe the lack of the round clip/counterweight is making it difficult to get 2,4, & R. This happened to anyone? How did you fix it? Here's a photo showing what i'm talking about. The line across means that's where the clip is separated in half.

Shiftcableedited_zps804dce3a.jpg

Yikes. Not sure off-hand. Are you able to attach both sides that have separated to the bracket? Create some sort of strap to then pinch those pieces together, with the bracket sandwiched in the middle?

Are the ends fixed or are the ones pictured being used as is?

Yikes. Not sure off-hand. Are you able to attach both sides that have separated to the bracket? Create some sort of strap to then pinch those pieces together, with the bracket sandwiched in the middle?

Are the ends fixed or are the ones pictured being used as is?
No, i'm not able to attach both sides cuz they are broken/separated. Not sure what happened to it. I thought about sandwiching them somehow. But with them in the car already, that's gonna be a very tough thing to do, as there isn't any space around there. And zip ties won't cut it. The picture i just found in another thread. And mine are already installed in the car.

And i tried searching for the correct routing, but came up on old forum broken links.
Edit- The lower half of the clip(black part) is still fused to the shift cable itself. The other half(white part) is simply sliding loose back forth.

So my car still shifts fine, but i want a more permanent fix. I've decided to try some form of adhesive to fuse the bracket together. I've narrowed it down to two. 1) Contact Adhesive & 2) Tensol Cement. Here are links for info on both. http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/glueplas1.htm AND http://www.the-warren.org/GCSERevision/resistantmaterials/adhesives.html
I'm leaning towards the tensol cement due to it's fusion strength and resistance to the torque the shift cable bracket will see. But it works only on certain plastics. Does anyone have any idea what kinda plastic our shift cable brackets are made from? Thanks. Can you all tell i really don't wanna have to replace them:D?

Back