• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Reverse Lockout Plastic Ring

Slim57

CEG'er
Is broken on 1995 contour with 2.5L V6 and manual 5 speed transmission. About 1/4 of the plastic ring part which fits into the bottom of the shift knob and pushes up the lockout plunger is sheared away. Also, the bottom of same ring has sheared from the lower part that the shift boot fastens to.

The plunger is located on the front side of the stick. I can unlock reverse by rotating broken ring so that the broken area is away from the plunger, but this is not a permanent solution, I'd like to repair or replace shifter.

The lockout ring is in effect a sleeve, that when unlocking reverse, presses up into a recess in on the bottom side of the shift knob. Inside said recess is a plunger, that when is lifted, unlocks reverse.

I have not checked with ford dealer for parts, but if replacement ring is available, it seems that the only way to replace lockout ring is to remove shifter from car, remove stick from shifter, then replace lockout from the bottom side of the stick, at the opposite end from the shift knob. Transmission knob seems to be permanently affixed to shift stick.

Can anyone say if the lockout ring is available, or has any one removed or repaired shifter of this ilk?

Thanks, Drake.

If its the same mechanism as the svt, all you would have to do is remove the sleeve, theres just a lug on the bottom.

Thank you for the information, very helpful.

It seems that I need to remove the rubber boot that is under leather boot. I noticed a slot through the shift lever, there must be a pin that goes through the lockout ring, and that slot, to limit reverse lockout sleeve travel.

Well, no surprise, Ford dealer has no parts for shifter, or even the entire shifter. I can make another lockout ring of wood, plastic, or steel, but I will need to remove shift knob from stick shift. How to remove shift knob was not so obvious when I last looked. Dealer's exploded view of shifter was line drawing, not very good resolution, but the lower part of stick surely looked larger diameter, which if true, indicates that the lockout ring must be removed and replaced from the top, after removing the shift knob.

Has anyone ever removed shift knob, or otherwise knows the facts?

Thank you!

Well, no surprise, Ford dealer has no parts for shifter, or even the entire shifter. I can make another lockout ring of wood, plastic, or steel, but I will need to remove shift knob from stick shift. How to remove shift knob was not so obvious when I last looked. Dealer's exploded view of shifter was line drawing, not very good resolution, but the lower part of stick surely looked larger diameter, which if true, indicates that the lockout ring must be removed and replaced from the top, after removing the shift knob.

Has anyone ever removed shift knob, or otherwise knows the facts?

Thank you!

This should be super easy - Have you unscrewed the shift knob and removed the boot. To do that you just pull up and in, I think on the drivers side, but it doesn't take much force and will come right off. Then you need to press out the pin to removed the reverse lockout sleeve. Once you take off the boot there might be other options available to you.

Reviving a very old post. Also have a 95 5speed and my ring just broke apart. Does anyone know if the ring was used on any other Ford transmission? Perhaps a Focus? Expect my only options will be a junk yard, but willing to order a new one, but sure nothing would be listed under "Contour"

Reviving a very old post. Also have a 95 5speed and my ring just broke apart. Does anyone know if the ring was used on any other Ford transmission? Perhaps a Focus? Expect my only options will be a junk yard, but willing to order a new one, but sure nothing would be listed under "Contour"

Fairly certain that the Focus only used a reverse lockout similar to the post 98 Contours. Also the MK3 Focus don't have a reverse lockout. But I am not sure if the shift tower was revised any to help prevent a 5-reverse shift.

Back