• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EGR valve location and or DPFE sensor?!??!!

tonyankyfan1

CEG'er
Hi guys-

A 98 mercury mystique zetec, wondering where the location of the EGR valve and DPFE sensor on this 4 cylinder zetec is located?????

Thanks Anthony

The DPFE sensor is used in the ECU feedback loop to meter EGR injection, so since there's no EGR on the EVCT Zetec, there's no DPFE sensor.

I was working at Ford when Powertrain Engineering developed the Exhaust VCT (Variable Cam Timing) for the Zetec, and engineering tried to sell EVCT to Ford upper management based on the improvement of the engine's torque curve. Management didn't buy it, but they would buy off on the elimination of EGR, as EGR costs Ford a lot of money in emissions warranty service.

The DPFE sensor is used in the ECU feedback loop to meter EGR injection, so since there's no EGR on the EVCT Zetec, there's no DPFE sensor.

I was working at Ford when Powertrain Engineering developed the Exhaust VCT (Variable Cam Timing) for the Zetec, and engineering tried to sell EVCT to Ford upper management based on the improvement of the engine's torque curve. Management didn't buy it, but they would buy off on the elimination of EGR, as EGR costs Ford a lot of money in emissions warranty service.
OH WOW, VERY INTERESTING. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE 411 AND TAKING THE TIMETO EXPLAIN IN DEPTH ABOUT THIS, I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
THANKS AGAIN, ANTHONY

'EGR costs Ford a lot of money in emissions warranty service.'

If Ford weren't so tight with materials a lot of that would have disappeared. The Focus showed max errors there when they went to the two inch rubber holding the DPFE right at the standpipes unlike the remote firewall mounted ones and all kinds of fixes trying to cure failing sensors, like the '02s which failed them left and right and common under 30K miles. I personally changed like 3 by 60K miles before getting mad to extend the vacuum hoses way out to make a low water trap since water was causing the sensor to fault. I have never had to change one ever again since doing that and telling others the same makes their problems go away too. They kept mentioning 'bad sensors', there was nothing wrong there except bad implementation of the idea, they cheaped out on hose length.

All the engineering in the world is useless if you bypass it being too cheap. Like the 4-5 ways harnesses can break on Foci simply because Ford will not pay for another measly inch of wire length in different places making the harnesses tight enough to break way early from flexing too much.

Spend millions in design and cost millions to save hundreds of thousands.

Back