• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec oil and PCV valve work.

knucklehead97

New CEG'er
My Zetec has about 213k on the clock and I'm looking to get it to 300K after I get the timing belt replaced next week. Something I've noticed lately is that I'm running through oil FAST. Like 1 1/2 quarts last week. I know I have a bad leak somewhere, I can smell it. I've already changed the front crankshaft seal and am having the camshaft seals done when the timing belt is replaced. I can tell that my crankcase breather element is gone due to blowby and I think I found the cause of the blowby! My PCV valves vacuum line is crimped up due to the PO using cheap hose to fix it. The heat made it collapse. Searching on the internet I found that the hose is ridiculously priced at 20-55$. Is there a cheaper method? I was thinking of bending some copper pipe up or some PVC or something. I bought a new PCV valve and will be changing it and the thermostat housing to head Oring when I dump the coolant to try and blow out my heater cores clog. Is there any other solution to the crankcase breather filter? Every parts store around here can't get them. Lastly, what is everyone doing as far as oil? In my Jeep I run Rotella T4 diesel oil due to it being high mileage and the oil has a good zinc content which the 4.0 engine loves. It sealed up all of the engines oil leaks and made the lifter chatter go away. Has anyone tried using diesel oil in a Zetec? I know some Miata owners run it in their 1.8's and 1.6's.

Thanks in advance!

I had the PCV problem on my 98 contour when it only had 65000 miles on it. It ended up blowing the valve seals and valves and had to get a valve job. my advice is don't cheap out on the parts , valves are a lot more. most of the parts you are looking for or need can be found on line at ebay or auto stores. oil only synthic since valve job.

I had the PCV problem on my 98 contour when it only had 65000 miles on it. It ended up blowing the valve seals and valves and had to get a valve job. my advice is don't cheap out on the parts , valves are a lot more. most of the parts you are looking for or need can be found on line at ebay or auto stores. oil only synthic since valve job.

I found a focus one with an aluminum heat shield for 20$. Looks much better than all of the Contour ones... Does anyone know if the contour and focus Zetec PCV vacuum lines were the same? I definitely would prefer to not cheap out on this but I hear plain vacuum line replacements get soft from the heat

Back