alternator replacement questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator replacement questions

im not even sure this is the right section but it looked good enough. ive got a 1999 2.0 se auto contour. the alternator still puts out plenty to charge the battery and all but I have a small system. im running a 1200 watt amp & a single large 10" sub. when the bass hits of course the lights dim. they also dim when I roll the windows up or down. I think the factory alternator is a 130 amp? & that's if the car even still has the factory alternator. I just turned 249,000 miles last week. I have a brand new oreillys Ultima alternator ( https://oreillyauto.com/detail/ultim...our?q=n111976a ) that's only rated for 105 amps.

I was curious if I installed this new alternator if just maybe the dimming would go away or not? ive heard to get a capacitor but I don't have much experience with capacitors.
    Last edited by silverskoundrel; 08-24-2017, 12:21 AM. Reason: edited because i found out the alternator is contour specific

No that won't fit. The alternator for the Contour is different.
    https://oreillyauto.com/shop/chargin...Attr_10040=130 - 139 Amps

Comment

The alts interchange as the engines are the same, the amp rating is different though. Depends on the diode plate (6 or 8) and regulator used.

Comment

well darn. glad I didn't tear it down and try to put it on

Comment

im gonna check the part number on the one I got when I get home.

Comment

Alright so I was wrong. I looked at the alternator I have and it's the one that fits the contour so yay! I guess back to the question. Would changing the alternator to this new alternator keep my lights from dimming any? Lol

Comment

Probably not. You won't eliminate all dimming unless you invest in a second battery and isolator setup to separate the amp from the cars electrical system.

Comment

Originally posted by cclngthr View Post
                Probably not. You won't eliminate all dimming unless you invest in a second battery and isolator setup to separate the amp from the cars electrical system.

do you have to run a higher amp alternator if you add a 2nd battery?

Comment

Originally posted by silverskoundrel View Post

do you have to run a higher amp alternator if you add a 2nd battery?
                  No. The stock alternator is fine, but I suggest getting a better main battery with a higher amp capacity and have the second aux battery the same and use an isolator with it.

Comment

With the isolator, you do need to match the alternator output as close as possible to the rating to the isolator,

Comment

Working...
                    X