• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alternator replacement questions

im not even sure this is the right section but it looked good enough. ive got a 1999 2.0 se auto contour. the alternator still puts out plenty to charge the battery and all but I have a small system. im running a 1200 watt amp & a single large 10" sub. when the bass hits of course the lights dim. they also dim when I roll the windows up or down. I think the factory alternator is a 130 amp? & that's if the car even still has the factory alternator. I just turned 249,000 miles last week. I have a brand new oreillys Ultima alternator ( https://oreillyauto.com/detail/ulti...n111976a/4601582/1999/ford/contour?q=n111976a ) that's only rated for 105 amps.

I was curious if I installed this new alternator if just maybe the dimming would go away or not? ive heard to get a capacitor but I don't have much experience with capacitors.

Last edited:
The alts interchange as the engines are the same, the amp rating is different though. Depends on the diode plate (6 or 8) and regulator used.

Alright so I was wrong. I looked at the alternator I have and it's the one that fits the contour so yay! I guess back to the question. Would changing the alternator to this new alternator keep my lights from dimming any? Lol

Probably not. You won't eliminate all dimming unless you invest in a second battery and isolator setup to separate the amp from the cars electrical system.

Probably not. You won't eliminate all dimming unless you invest in a second battery and isolator setup to separate the amp from the cars electrical system.

do you have to run a higher amp alternator if you add a 2nd battery?

Back