• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how to get rid of blow by!!!!

heres a question for everybody? how do you get rid of blow by?
you can never completely get rid of blow-by. if you have excessive amounts the only way to fix that is to rebuild the engine. you have to hone the cylinders and install new piston rings.

Why do you ask?

you can never completely get rid of blow-by. if you have excessive amounts the only way to fix that is to rebuild the engine. you have to hone the cylinders and install new piston rings.

Why do you ask?

wellmy turbo car has blow by and Im trying to bring the smoke down....

I got a tube from the valve cover runinng up under the car.....and it smokes at idle a little..and when i go into boost it pours out...
i bet you dont have as much blow by as you think. im betting your pushing boost into your crankcase through the PCV system. i had to put a one way check valve between the intake manifold and the PCV valve to make sure i didnt pressurize the crankcase with boost.

i bet you dont have as much blow by as you think. im betting your pushing boost into your crankcase through the PCV system. i had to put a one way check valve between the intake manifold and the PCV valve to make sure i didnt pressurize the crankcase with boost.

what????

no offense but you clearly have no clue how it all works.

The PCV system vents the pressure from blow-by in the crankcase back into the intake manifold. when you pressurize the intake manifold with boost the air will go backwards through the PCV system until it reaches the crankcase. the PCV valve is supposed to prevent this BUT it does not seal nearly well enough to do so in our application.

when you add boost to the crankcase all the pressure has to go somewhere. that happens to be out the valve cover vent (which really should go through an oil separator and back into the air intake before the turbo).

my solution:

i took an extra vacuum brake booster check valve (which seals completely) and installed it in the PCV system so that when under boost it would block off the crankcase.

no offense but you clearly have no clue how it all works.

The PCV system vents the pressure from blow-by in the crankcase back into the intake manifold. when you pressurize the intake manifold with boost the air will go backwards through the PCV system until it reaches the crankcase. the PCV valve is supposed to prevent this BUT it does not seal nearly well enough to do so in our application.

when you add boost to the crankcase all the pressure has to go somewhere. that happens to be out the valve cover vent (which really should go through an oil separator and back into the air intake before the turbo).

my solution:

i took an extra vacuum brake booster check valve (which seals completely) and installed it in the PCV system so that when under boost it would block off the crankcase.

i'll try that.. but will it smoke out the tail pipe

i'll try that.. but will it smoke out the tail pipe
it should not because you are not pressurizing the crankcase anymore so there should be minimal oil/air coming from the valve cover vent back into the intake. also what ever oil is left will get burned during combustion.

I am curious about what turbo and how much boost you are running though (im sure you have mentioned it before)

it should not because you are not pressurizing the crankcase anymore so there should be minimal oil/air coming from the valve cover vent back into the intake. also what ever oil is left will get burned during combustion.

I am curious about what turbo and how much boost you are running though (im sure you have mentioned it before)

well heres my number.... i got to go to a turbo meeting...call me some as you get this post....615-589-9258

kid at my school has a 04 civic si turbo and when backing up (slight rpm) its like a blue smoke machine, he gunned it in front on me one time and i swear i counldnt see anything.

Back