• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

bucking, jolting, shaking, vibrations from motor/trans

hourang

CEG'er
when shifting gears, MTX, the motor and trans shifts and bucks like crazy. also does it when i let off the gas. It does not do this when just reving in nuetral or clutch pushed in. so im thinking its one of the mounts. which one? engine? trans? or one of the front or rear roll restrictors? how do i test which one? which one is more common to go out, or most likely linked to my symptoms? its driving me nutz and the mounts are not cheap so i want to make sure i have the right one first.

when shifting gears, MTX, the motor and trans shifts and bucks like crazy. also does it when i let off the gas. It does not do this when just reving in nuetral or clutch pushed in. so im thinking its one of the mounts. which one? engine? trans? or one of the front or rear roll restrictors? how do i test which one? which one is more common to go out, or most likely linked to my symptoms? its driving me nutz and the mounts are not cheap so i want to make sure i have the right one first.

Your problem is the front and rear roll resistors, I have the same problem...

Are they the little shock looking-like thing that go to the sub-frame from the tranny at the front left of the car? I am not sure how you would check it in the car, I get guess someone to shake the engine and watch for it to move. If the gas it out of the shock it will slide in and out like it isn't even doing anything. If you take it off, you could feel how much resistance the shock gives. It should be quite stiff. I guess I shouldn't post about this as I am not 100% sure, but that is what it sounds like to me.

Are they the little shock looking-like thing that go to the sub-frame from the tranny at the front left of the car? I am not sure how you would check it in the car, I get guess someone to shake the engine and watch for it to move. If the gas it out of the shock it will slide in and out like it isn't even doing anything. If you take it off, you could feel how much resistance the shock gives. It should be quite stiff. I guess I shouldn't post about this as I am not 100% sure, but that is what it sounds like to me.

no the roll restrictors are in the middle of the engine down below by the subframe. one in front, one in back.

It is pretty easy to check the two resistors... If they are "sagging" like shown in the first picture below then they are no good...

And the pics

Before, see how the thru bolt is soo close to the bottom, that bushing is fried

x1lfk8.jpg

After, this is the one I filled. The thru bolt is dead center.

altfdl.jpg

ok i was under the car yesterday flushing the coolant. the roll restrictors look ok from the quick check. i did however notice that the pass side motor mount doesnt seem right. when i push on the motor (forward and backward, not up and down) it seems to shift. i think this is my problem. it also seems like there is this rubber tab that sticks out the side, i believe this is a wear indicator because it is in a slot and is bottomed out at the bottom. if i had a picture of the mount i could show you. maybe tonight ill snap a shot.

Back