• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Supercharged zetec Cougar

iceberg65

CEG'er
Hi everybody!

I have posts all over neco, but hey, why not share my ride here too.

The setup:

power

SVT Focus JRSC- work done on manifold to line up intake runners
BBK pulley (peak 10psi)
#42 injectors
SVT focus CFM 67mm throttle body
Stock focus zetec swap (no vct)
Weapon R header
2.25" exhaust with dynomax muffler and glasspack resonator
Custom 3" intake w/ MAF tube and focus MAF (K&N Apollo on the way)
Esslinger adjustable cam gears with Gates timing belt
spec 3+ pressure-plate and cluchnet sprung full face disc
Torsen ATB differential
Ford GT fuel pump

Handling

Roush 21mm rear sway bar
TZT sway bar endlinks front and rear
TZT rear toe arms
Roush rear and intrax front springs
ST200 struts
Stangkiller LCA's
ST200 Rear strut brace
SVT focus front rotor brake upgrade

Pics

Here it is next to my truck as it sits. I just cant seem to leave stuff stock can I.

And Under the hood.

The car

Got the car bone stock and just couldn't stop. Fun little guy, its been through its issues tho.

The power band of this supercharger is really nice for driveability, torque curve on these things is near flat. Love the sound it makes too. I'm currently working on some tune revisions to get it actually running 100% apparantly my ecu does some things a little differently then the focus. Tom from focusfanatics has been doing all my remote tuning and has been a great help getting my frankenstien of a car running without throwing codes haha. It takes time but Tom really doesn't quit till hes done, Hes experimenting with some new stuff to get it running as good as it possibly can.

It's not super fast but should be runnning around 200whp and makes for a really fun car. Keep up with them 3L guys. Bought this charger off Buttonpuncher a long time ago, with these kits going for $2000 (or less) the cost is pretty damn reasonable. The non svt kits are even less and still make around 175whp (more then a 2.5)

I hope to get this thing to the track this year, I havent run it since it was near stock (16.9 second quarter mile)

Nice setup. Years back, I helped a friend install a Jackson Racing supercharger on his late 90's Honda hatchback. It really woke up the car, especially up here at 7,000 foot altitude. >10 years later, it could still use a good differential.

Interesting, I see that Jackson Racing is using Rotrex blowers now.

Holy cow you have buttonpunchers old SC. Looks like you have it setup nice.

Yea, Jackson is using rotex units now, which are pretty awesome. Small too. I did the diff and a clutch pretty quickly after installing it.

Blu_Fuz may recognize the valve cover, did a great job powdercoating it, love it!

I gotta do something with that coolant crossover tube though. With the manifold mounts gone it just sits weird and looks off.

It was a bit of work to get the svt unit to fit right but nothing too overly difficult. I kinda like that I got it of someone in the cougar/contour world rather then the focus guys. Seems like anyone that's stuck around this long is pretty much gonna hang around.

Pulled away on a 4.4l v8 bmw the other day, so that was nice.

Well looks like I'm pulling it out again to do the clutch....Pretty sure the machine shop I took it to did the flywheel wrong cause it engaged high in pedal travel from day 1 and it only lasted like 7000km. It was a spec 3+ PP and clutchnet organic material disc. Should easily hold the torque this setup makes.

It currently slips at low rpm even under pretty light throttle but does grab and catch up, once warm it's ok and will hold but still cant launch.

Finding decent prices on clutch stuff to canada is like pulling teeth right now. That exchange rate is rough and all the canadian sites have is oem equivalent stuff. I think I want to go with a lightweight flywheel now too.

I gotta do something with that coolant crossover tube though. With the manifold mounts gone it just sits weird and looks off.

I would re-route that crossover pipe along the top of the radiator .... well away from the manifold heat and cambelt pulley.

Do you have any photo's of the inlet manifold the S/C is mounted on ? thanks .....G.

That is where the focus has that tube, I think thats the best place to put it too. I'll play around with some ideas one of these days, Gotta focus on the clutch now though. I did order a fidanza flywheel for it.

What do you want to see on the manifold. I have a few pics of just the manifold

This is showing my IAT relocation. Used a pre 98 contour sensor.

With blower, fuel rail and injectors

and everything the day of the unboxing

thanks for posting those up so quickly.

I take it that the manifold is Jackson Racings' own design.

Wouldn't mind having a blown 4 banger.

Really like how neatly the S/C is in your engine bay.

Interesting that J.R. decided to put the IAT sensor on the manifold and not by the air filter....G.

Yup Jackson Racing made the manifold. The non SVT version for the M45 blower has a port for egr and a bit different runner ports. I had to do some dremel work to get them to line up.

It really does look clean installed. And the install was pretty straightforward after I planned out what all had to be changed to make the svt stuff work. (fuel rail modification and SVTF throttle body/TPS sensor.

Jackson didnt do anything with the IAT sensor. Normally they just use the one incorporated into the MAF. I pigtailed in the sensor and had the manifold tapped so that my ecu could see real intake temps as a roots blower adds a lot of heat.

I do really like the powerband this setup gives me.

Jackson didnt do anything with the IAT sensor. Normally they just use the one incorporated into the MAF. I pigtailed in the sensor and had the manifold tapped so that my ecu could see real intake temps as a roots blower adds a lot of heat.

I asked about this choice in Beans' S/C thread. To my mind too, telling the ECU the real temp. must be the right way ahead ....G.

Absolutely, it allows the ecu to adjust ignition timing properly based on ACT, allows for the most effective tune possible without compromising the safety of the motor. Especially with the massive temperature changes that the M62 sees as it builds boost (with no air charge cooler).

M62deltaT.gif

With this setup, intake temps can be raised anywhere from 60* to 160* under the conditions I've been running. That is pretty huge, and its mostly pressure that causes it. That can really play a huge role on optimal timing for the engine. For reference, I should be peaking around 11500 blower rpm at 10psi. I have seen intake temps in excess of 200*

that will be an interesting comparison ... to see what temp's a Vortech makes at the same pressures.... G.

The vortec setup should make much lower IAT's, it has a charge cooler where the jrsc has nothing. I do have a WMI setup that I am going to relocate the nozzle for before using more. It messed up my TPS once already. That is just for safety though. I want to tap where the vacuum ports are before the blower rotors for it. That will give some time for the mist to atomize before hitting the runners and disperse the W/M as evenly as possible. I'm not too concerned with the rotor coating either, its benefit is quite minimal, and the consensus it that it wears off over time regardless.

When I was running it before though the blower itself was cool to the touch after some heavy use, where it is quite hot to the touch without. I saw IAT reduction of a good 60*

at the moment I have a 3.33" pulley, which should give me 7-8lbs. I thought about putting an air to air and a hood scoop ... but I quite like not having any external clues to what lies below.

Seems like your water/meth injection system should work well for you. Maybe when I'm a little better bedded in i'll have the time to think clearly about charge cooling without other immediate issues swimming around in my head ....G.

I would think that the stock water to air cooler should be adequate for 7-8 lbs of boost.

The WMI is really the only reasonable option I have for charge cooling. Some honda guys have managed to build water-air coolers into the Jackson manifold, but they had more manifold space to work with. Plus it ended up being very expensive and not incredibly efficient.

how much hood clearance do you have? I wonder if you could put a W/A cooler between the manifold and the blower like on the 3800SC.

There is very little clearance. when I first made the throttle cable bracket it was touching the hood and I shaved it down a bit. So the highest point on the blower is incredibly close to the hood. I did play with the idea of a sandwich style cooler, but it comes down to the size it would have available is pretty inadequate.

Well I ordered up a LuK pro Gold Kit on ebay, all the compatible cars were 2.0 contour/cougar/mystique's but I cant find any info on the kit from LuK (or anywhere else for that matter). The part number (07-917) just comes up in the catalog I found as obsolete. Maybe someone here has had one in the past. The reviews for the focus version are awesome!

The ad had a good picture and it looks just like my pressure plate with proper LuK pro gold packaging. If it is what the ad claims it fits my needs perfectly. OE quality with full on extra holding power rather then just a reworked stock pressure plate. Found some FSworks posts on focaljet saying the pro gold kit held 230whp without issue. And at $300 (after exchange rate, shipping, import fees) A good price.

Here is the pic from the ad.
$_32.JPG

New part pics!

Here is the pro gold clutch disc, looks pretty solid!

the LUK throwout bearing (top) and ford one (bottom) According to ordering from ford this is a revised part number. Looks like LuK just milled off the ford logo, otherwise looks identical other then the ford one not having the oring on the back (which isnt to be used anymore anyway)

upon removing my spec TOB, the back end fell apart, and I noticed that the shop left the oring on it, I'm probably lucky that it didnt leak while in the car.

And the LuK pro gold pressure plate next to the spec unit. They are identical visually other then the color and ground off luk logos on the spec unit (except the one right between 2 balancing weights)

I also took some pictures of what I did on my supercharger inlet.

Here is where I put the npt threads for the wmi nozzle.

Smoothed out the casting inside, you can see the wmi nozzle port inside too.

and one from the throttlebody side.

Back