• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec aftermarket Intake info.

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
Alright, there has been A LOT of threads about people wanting to find an intake for their Zetec. CTA really doesn't make one anymore so people are needing to build custom intakes from focus kits.

For the newbies out there, and people who dont know the difference between a short ram and CAI (Cold Air intake) there is a huge difference, it drives me nuts to hear people referring to their short ram air intake as a CAI.

Let me get this clear, a Short ram air intake is an aftermarket intake, usualy of metal piping where the air filter stays in the engine bay, USUALLY where the stock air box was. A Cold air intake (CAI) on the other hand is a kit of longer piping designed to go somewhere as far away from the engine as possible, which is why its called "cold air" because its not taking the hot air from where the engine bay is. Cold air kits usually are routed into the fender, or in front of a fog light hole or somewhere remote, the basics is, if you pop the hood, and you cant see an air filter, its a Cold air kit.

IMPORTANT:
There is NO proven CAI that works with the Zetec contour, if you buy a focus CAI intake kit off of ebay, dont expect it to fit perfectly, or even at all, nobody has tried it so if you want to take this on and post the results that would be great.

Advantages of Cold air: on the dyno you will see fairly good differences in wheel horsepower. especially on the freeway where there is better air circulation.
Disadvantages of Cold Air: having your air filter closer to the ground/in the bumper/away from the engine, allows for more dirt to get on the filter, which would mean you would have to replace the cone air filter more often.

Advantages of a Short Ram: You still will see some good numbers from a short ram, a while back when the CTA intake was still being sold, there were people reporting dyno gains with JUST an intake of as high as 12 WHP. The stock intake on the contours is extremely restrictive. Plus, since the filter stays in the engine bay, its not going to get gunked up/worn out so early on.

Disadvantages of a Short ram: Hot air, especially in the summer time, may hurt the performance, I can say with my short ram in the summer my car feels like a dog. Although this wont really hurt anything.

Best route for Zetec contour: cheapest short ram you can find on ebay, along with a heat shield. You build your own heat shield by getting a cheap trash can from wal mart and some tearable foam insulation from Home Depot. Cut the trash can to hold your air filter while connected to the MAF, and use the builders foam on the edges between your hood and the Heat shield to create a nice tight seal, obviously be careful not to have the intake too raised up as it might damage your hood.

to find a Zetec intake go onto ebay and search: Focus intake

Short ram:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...ryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
^thats the one I have^

To make the focus intake work there is one modification you will have to make. The MAF on the focus is much smaller than on the contour, so the coupling between the metal pipe and the MAF is too small to fit. You can either hack up your stock intake hosing where the IAT sensor is, or you can go to a local auto parts store (autozone) and pick up a new coupling that you can just drill a small hole into for your IAT sensor.

The End result
CIMG0922.jpg

Last edited:
Good info. now if only Hector would get on the zetec section occasionally he could sticky this for us.

I agree, very good info. I will personally take on the 'No one has yet to take on the focus intake' thing. I will get it complete, but as in my other post, it may not be the way it's suppose to be, but it will still hold the definition of a TRUE CAI. I also agree this needs to be stickied, ASAP.

i think we need a second zetec forums Moderator. i dont really care who just as long as they visit the zetec forums on a regular basis. i know i have seen BrApple and Ray in here occasionally but i dont think they visit often.

i think we need a second zetec forums Moderator. i dont really care who just as long as they visit the zetec forums on a regular basis. i know i have seen BrApple and Ray in here occasionally but i dont think they visit often.
I visit and read.....don't have to post all the time.:nonono:

I visit and read.....don't have to post all the time.:nonono:
exactly why i think we need a second zetec forums mod. its not that you dont do your job. its that sometimes you are to busy with other things and you dont have time for several days. im not saying get ride of you. you were the first one to really do anything big with the zetec and you know your stuff. your also respected by a lot of guys on here. i know you can handle it by yourself, youve done so for how many years now?

yeah, lay off of hector, hes got a ball and chain to lug around now :D
if you had read my post you would understand that i was not bashing Hector. He does a fine job. i understand that he is extremely busy and cant always be on CEG, or when he can he doesnt have alot of time. thats why IMHO i think a second Mod for the zetec forums would be benificial. i dont care who just someone that is on more consistantly than Hector is able to be sometimes.

Last edited:
haha, its a joke dude. Im just giving hector a hard time, he is a busy guy and a 2nd moderator probably wouldnt hurt, however there really isnt a lot of activitity in the Zetec section, compared to the duratec section.

I do tend to read the zetec forums just about daily ...

I do tend to read the zetec forums just about daily ...
so then if you were added as a zetec moderator then if Hector isnt online we would have another Mod to go to for issues.

It doesnt really matter to me if a second Mod is added it was just a suggestion so things can be done quickly when Hector isnt available.

I make this intake for Zx2's. It comes in red, black, chrome, and blue (+$10).

I took a look at my contour. It seems as if I got rid of the dip into the zx2's old airbox space (which the contour doesn't have) this would be a pretty good intake.

It is made with 2.75" piping, reinforced silicone, all stainless clamps made in the US, and has a 2.75" 90* reinforced silicone throttle body adapter.

Any thoughts?

Heres my one of my friends zx2. Please ignore his disgusting engine bay.
adams_intake_red.jpg

I spy an early 1998 Zx2 Valve Cover in the original thread. 98's FTW.

If you're referring to the red one on the original post...it was factory on the early '98 contours also. I'm waiting to have my spare powdercoated, can't make up my mind on a color.

Back