• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec aftermarket Intake info.

If you're referring to the red one on the original post...it was factory on the early '98 contours also. I'm waiting to have my spare powdercoated, can't make up my mind on a color.

win.

thats exactly what it was, specifically from a 98 Mystique

Seem to have forgotten something...

Seem to have forgotten something...

Did you guys search the old forums much before making this thread? This is an excellent and cheap mod. I'll soon be installing a simpler modified versoin of this set-up on my car. I'll be sure to include pics and a how-to if all goes well.

The Sleeper-Z Intake
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...033989&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1

Did you guys search the old forums much before making this thread? This is an excellent and cheap mod. I'll soon be installing a simpler modified versoin of this set-up on my car. I'll be sure to include pics and a how-to if all goes well.

The Sleeper-Z Intake
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...033989&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1

Sleeper-Z intake is a little more involved and in some cases more pricey then this route, honestly, to build that intake in my original picture it costed me about $25 and all of the materials came to me in a box as opposed to custom building the whole thing and having to cut a modify a bunch of stuff.

True, but it is still an aftermarket-ish intake:shrug:

Nice write-up none-the-less:cool:

I don't get it though, why would you spend so much time and money ordering misc parts from different sources when you can spend $25 and have it pretty much all in one? Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't get it though, why would you spend so much time and money ordering misc parts from different sources when you can spend $25 and have it pretty much all in one? Doesn't make sense to me.

It's just a cool, subtle kinda thing, I guess:shrug:

I'm in the same boat as you, it doesn't make all that much sense to me; but it is still an option.

FYI, for those getting a focus intake.

-the focus PCV system is close, the contour zetec is open

I had mine set to open for about 1 year. When i finally took up the advice to fix it to the closed system.

I found a hug decrease in MPG and maybe even performance when i moved the breather hose from before(un-metered air/ air will be re-metered) to after(metered air). This was a large decrease, i went from around 28-30MPG to bellow 20.

If you look at the stock contour intake system the valve cover breather hose ends in the air box bellow the filter. So any air pushed out of the crank case or pulled into it is un-metered. Our PCM is designed/programmed to compensate for this. You can choose to put either as breather filter right on the valve cover or a hose into the air filter. You will have to cut off and tape off the hole in the pipe for the focus intake tube.

Uh, I have a Contour and Focus, BOTH take PCV flow from the bottom of airbox, before filter, it's unmetered air. The systems are the same.

The focus intake i received(twice,i bought 2, about 1 year apart) have the connector for a pcv hose after(metered). So i thought it was worth mentioning.

I'm sorry, maybe we both misunderstood. Both systems work the same. Unmetered air taken off airbox or other goes through a loop through engine, PCV, return line and then enters intake unmetered (after MAF). It's only metered if MAF measures it, PCV flow enters somewhere in intake manifold after on both cars. Rest of flow metered, the PCV amount is NOT. It's a calibrated vacuum leak that stays constant enough that PCM doesn't need to measure it. Flow amount provided for in F/A map and adaptive strategy. Has to be that way because you cannot get enough vacuum to draw through engine without takeoff point being after the throttle plate. NEITHER end of PCV circuit should be in the intake tube after MAF. The initial fresh air inlet can be after filter but before MAF, final PCV flow inlet to intake must be AFTER throttle plate.

Here's another thought. Maybe the intake tube section installs before the MAF, that would put PCV takeoff in right spot. Why does MAF have to be so far away from throttle body anyway, I would think better to have it somewhat closer to body. That column of air that's already metered after MAF is sitting there dead until throttle plate opens to activate it. Meaning MAF will hesitate slightly while column of air stirs up enough to move. In my view MAF should have draw on it as soon as plate opens for quick response. But then that's the ex-dragracer in me talking.

Just picked up an intake for my Zetec... Got the cheapest one I could find on ebay. Came to $21 shipped... Not too bad...

I'll post up pics when it shows up... :)

EDIT: Pics are up in pics/vids... Stay tuned for install pics...

if your talking about the cam breather i picked mine up at the local o'reillys but you should be able to get one at advance or autozone.

Back