• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine swap question

96MystiqueGS2.0

New CEG'er
i've searched for help on this topic with no luck. I was wondering if it was possible to swap the engine from a svt focus into my 96 mystique?

Would take a lot of work. The Focus subframe and trans mounts are WAY different than the Contique.

Probably doable, but certainly not easy.

Expanding a little more, now that I've thought about it.

Sure, the engine itself would bolt right up, but the transaxle is going to be your problem. There are a few guys on the Focus forum that have done it in their Focus, but they are able to just grab the SVT engine, transaxle, and ECU, and swap them in 1,2,3.

You would have to use your old 5-speed transaxle because of the difference in trans mounts between the Contique and the Focus - which is a bad idea. Having had an SVT Focus in my garage for the past 4 years or more, I can tell you for certain that unless you're running ridiculous amounts of boost, you DO NOT want to saddle that thing with a 5-speed transaxle; it doesn't have a broad enough torque curve to handle only 5 gears; it's really peaky and takes a lot of shifting to get anything out of it. With a 5-speed it would just bog every time you shift, and would probably be frustratingly un-drivable.

That's before you even get into trying to tune for the dual-stage intake manifold that the SVT employs, and its reversed VCT arrangement (intake cam, instead of exhaust), because you can't use a Focus ECU. Short of a ton of complicated tuning, you could just swap to a single-stage intake manifold (which would rob even more of the low-end torque that it doesn't have anyway), and delete the VCT (which would do the same).

Lots of headaches and obstacles; it's not as straightforward as it seems at the start.

In my estimation, for the cost of an SVT long block, I would instead just pick up a Jackson Racing supercharger or something and make your own current Zetec more what you want it to be. Probably no difference in cost, and a lot more straightforward.

I will add the following thoughts:
The Getrag is not the strongest of transmissions so for all out performance the MTX75 is better suited.
Some of the power band issues can be addressed by changing the rpm switch point of the DSIM which can be controlled with an rpm switch and a IMRC and a little electrical work.
That doesn't fully address the gear ratio issues unless you want to dive in and start swapping gears inside the trans (including final drive gears).
The VCT can be deleted (Massive makes a kit- http://massivespeedsystem.com/_mass...eed_vct_delete_systems/mamc3402/i-545863.aspx )
Even though it can be done (you can even swap just the head or swap the intake manifold-I've done that) the cost and work involved don't begin to justify the end results.
You could probably do an SVT intake swap (I know where you can get a swap setup), SVT or aftermarket header swap and a cam gear for under $500 and call it a day.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I hate having stuff open and unanswered...

Burton Power carries cams for the pre-98 Zetec. The thing that's unique to the pre-98 Zetec is that we have hydraulic lifters. The 98+/Focus Zetec has solid lifters.

Also, about the swap possibilities... The 98+ Contour/Mystique Zetec is almost identical to the regular Focus Zetec. Same MTX and same motor mounts. The problem with doing a Pre-98/Focus swap is that the Pre-98's passenger side motor mount is TOTALLY different than the 98+/Focus motor mount.

Considering how popular that the SCT stuff has gotten, and that the Pre-98's bottom end is really beefy, if you want more power, just get a Focus turbo kit, have a custom shop fab you a new downpipe, get a tune and you are golden. You don't need a cam for a turbo. Get either a T3-S60 or if you have the cash a GT2560R, dial it up to 10psi. That will get you 210-220HP at the crank. In a 2700lb car, that will be a blast. If you do decide to go over 10psi, then that's when you need forged pistons/rods and all ARP hardware.

BP

WOW, even better. Man that had to be a lot of fun.

I've been saying it for years... Ford designed these Zetecs for factory turbo charging. They just never did it. Just look at the massive main caps on the pre-98's and the cast-in turbo oil return on the stock pan.

Ugh. You guys are making me want to search for a rust free Contour. :D

Back