• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gas caps an timing belts.

Eric2.0

CEG'er
When you gas up your Contour, do you shut it off before taking the cap off? I don't, because I feel it's hard on the timing belt to restart after something like gassing up. I heard though you can throw a code by leaving the motor running while the ca is off. Also, how do timing belts last so long. I mean pulling all that force for 60,000 miles plus. It's amazing how they hold up as long as they do.

You will get a evap leak code when the gas cap is off.

The timing belt is made of a steel reinforced rubber, similar to a tire. Unlike a serpentine belt, it is reinforced.

I completely do not agree with not shutting the car off before fueling. I am pretty sure there are warning notices all over gas stations to shut your engine off before filling.

Yes you will throw a CEL.

Timing belt life? 100K + miles easy. I changed the timing belt twice on my 95, once at 104k and 222k. The first time was preventative maintenance. The second time was not because of the belt, but the tensioner splitting into 3 pieces. If it had not chewed up the belt I bet I could have used it again.

I wouldn't worry about it.

And yes I am throwing an EVAP code, must be why, cause of not shutting off to gas up. I just hate shutting off and restart just to gas up.
I just changed my timing belt, because of not belt failure, but because the big idler wheel split and crashed, destroying everything inside the timing belt case. That was at 94,000 miles.

So ... why not comply with the signs that are posted at the gas station then? You just agreed that the typical timing belt failure point is the pulley, not the belt. An extra start-up isn't going to make a difference ...

So now you know that in ~94k miles that you should inspect the timing belt or just change it. Ford doesn't have a specified interval for changing it, or its 120k miles. I do not recall at the moment.

I don't see how a start-up is worse for a timing belt than driving it THOUSANDS OF MILES A YEAR.

This whole thread is making my head explode...

I don't see how a start-up is worse for a timing belt than driving it THOUSANDS OF MILES A YEAR.

This whole thread is making my head explode...

That extra 'tug' to get everything going upon startup. Just seems easier on the motor to not shutting off and restarting every time you stop. I routinely leave it running if I'm not going to be someplace long. If the thread is too much for you, then don't read it, thx.

So now you know that in ~94k miles that you should inspect the timing belt or just change it. Ford doesn't have a specified interval for changing it, or its 120k miles. I do not recall at the moment.

I believe it's 70,000 miles if nothing is posted.

Back