• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blown diff

svtavino

CEG'er
It appears at 171000 my car has decided to blow the diff. I am at a cross roads right now and trying to decide what to do. I can fix it I have a spare diff and torsen sitting in my garage I also have a lift. I think I have decided to fix the transmission but do I do an overhaul over the rest of the car and keep it? Steering rack all the gaskets that have started leaking on the engine and so on. I guess the decision is do I sell it after I fix the transmission or do I fix everything and just keep it. This is not my “fun” car anymore that is what my CTS-V is for. What could I get for it with the shot diff and what could I get for it fixed. Overall the car is still in great shape. Interior is really good and exterior is starting to show it’s age but no rocker rust. It is a tough decision I have had it for 14 years. If I had a barn to put it in I would do that and fix it over time and just get another car. With the lift would people suggest dropping the subframe of still pull engine transmission out the top? One of the bigger problems in all this is I have 3 kids and a wife that doesn’t want me spending large amounts of time fixing it. Tough decisions.

These days a car that isn't running doesn't go for much at all, maybe a few hundred depending on how fast the person wants the car gone. Even running that don't see to go for much more.

With a lift and wanting to replace all of the engine seals I would drop the subframe/engine/trans as one and go from there.

If you don't have the time you could always drop the car off with Greg (aircougar) and have him do the work.

I have pulled the engine and trans. The Diff was toast but the rest of the transmission looks great. I have decided to keep the car so the Torsen is going in. I am going to redo the valve timing and oil pan gaskets new O2s Altenator and power steering pump. Hopefully It will be back together soon and running great.

Car is up and running. No extra bolts and no leaking fluids yet. It just won't idle right now. But I think I need to clean out the Idle air control valve it may have gotten gunked up while I was cleaning the intake. The car almost didn't start and I was afraid I would have to bring it to the dealer since it seemed pats related. The fuel pump and starter would not fire but the security light wasn't blinking either what finally made it go was plugging in my OBDII checker. I read that some where and it worked. Hopefully now I will get a few more years.

Back