• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Um... Anyone want a free contour?

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
The time has come to get rid of my dad's (my old) 96 SE MTX. I got him a 2007 Scion TC that will hopefully last him a while, and I'm debating what to do with her. One of three things come to mind:

I'm going to put money into it that I shouldn't, and then I'll have a third car that I don't have room or time for.
I'll take the trunk lid off to use with my SVT, then the rest of the car will be crushed/recycled.
I give the car to someone dedicated enough and who wants a project.

Condition:
The car needs new paint. Very little surface rust on hood. I haven't seen any rust anywhere else, which is rather amazing, but the paint (t-red) is oxidized badly. No major dents or dings.

It also needs interior work. Probably new carpets and floor mats needed, although they're not gross for how old the car is. Seats are fine except an ugly patch job on driver seat. It was there when I got the car. You don't see it when in the car. Also the HVAC vent on passenger side fell apart. I have a replacement but it's not the right shade of gray. Maybe it ould be painted to match? Vinyl at top of door panels is starting to show signs of cracking.

The engine (V6) was rebuilt probably less than 25k miles ago, but the electrical harness need refurbished. I believe the car would run quite well once that is done.

Suspension seems fine, as the car still feels great on the road.

Stock 15" wheels are a bit oxidized.

So what do you think? Too far gone for someone's project car? If it sticks around too much longer I'm going to regret what happens next.

It runs, but with CEL and with possibly the sde effects of electrical gremlins. I haven't driven it for a while, but my dad was driving it to and from work every day up until about a month ago. Would you honestly want to tackle restoring it? I think it's worth it, but I'd hate to give it away to see it parted out. Hell I might even buy it back if restored. In fact, I'll say that I'd strongly consider buying it back because I really like the way this car drives. But obviously it would be yours to do what you wish. I just wat it to find a good home.

Yeah, I will try to get some up here. The car is a good 35 minutes away, which isn't that big of a deal. I'll try to get them up soon.

Ok, uploading the pictures gave me an error for file size limit, so here's the photo bucket link. I found a tiny bit of surface rust starting on one of the wheel wells, and some rust down by the side skirt. Sorry for the crappy picture quality. Grabbed an old point and shoot and it was cold so I rushed. One of the vinyl on the door panel was supposed to show some minor cracking, but it's kind of blurry.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/mu...?sort=3&page=1

Going once, going twice...? I've been trying to get in touch with Onimitsu, but no reply yet. My parents are paying insurance on this as it sits in their driveway. Gotta go now.

Back