• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need a second car to wrench on the first….

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
So, I think I would like to continue to learn how to wrench on my 2000 CSVT. As this is my DD and I have no backup, you can imagine this involves a lot of stress trying to cram any fixes or mods into weekends.

I have already done a fair amount of interior work, and replaced the suspension, as well as a few engine bits. However, the next next step is replacing the engine and transmission. To do those, I am definitely going to have to garage the car for a while to give me enough time. So, if I am going to continue to learn, I need to buy a second car.

I see 2 possible routes:

1) buy another contour (SVT preferable, otherwise V6)
PRO: relatively cheap, Im already learning how to fix one, I can find parts at the junkyard
CON: not many around my area, more likely to fail making me spend more time fixing things

2) buy another vehicle entirely, something newer - I had a Ford Fusion Sport FWD 2010-2011-2012 in mind
PRO: less likely for something to fail, giving me peace of mind when I take the CSVT apart
CON: going to spend more money (~$16000), would this kill my motivation to wrench on the CSVT ?

So what do the old hands here do ? Do you prefer the peace of mind coming with a newer car to use, or double the fun with 2 of the same cars ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Yea, I vote #2 as well. But, if you get another sports sedan you might start hooking that up and, like you said, kill your motivation for the Tour.

I vote option 2 but something not quite so new to save some money. I like the early Mazda 6i for cheap reliable DD. I recently took my parents 03 6i off their hands for just that reason (the VR4 has been extremely reliable for a 3000GT but the 6i is way more fuel efficient). the 2.3 has over 313K miles on it and still runs great. I fully expect this car to last another 5+ years with only normal maintenance. Its also no slouch with an MTX, running similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile times to a stock SVT (although not as fast as my VR4, its still fun to drive). If you wanted to stick with the Ford badge you could find an 06-08 Fusion with the 2.3 and MTX as its the same chassis as the first gen 6.

OPTION 3; Buy another motor and transmission and prep them before installing at a convenient time.

This option takes much less space and lets you focus all your funds on the motor and transmission. You could pick up an unfinished project ......G.

OPTION 3; Buy another motor and transmission and prep them before installing at a covenient time.

This option takes much less space and lets you focus all your funds on the motor and transmission. You could pick up an unfinished project ......G.

U're missing a crucial detail in his problem G. He still needs a vehicle to get around with in the meantime. I'm with striker tho. Option 2, but with sumthn older. Japanese 4 banga or ford focus for the fuel savings.

I thought about the engine/trans prep (or a project car), and while I have ideas, at the end of the day, this won't get done quickly. I do appreciate the input though.

I have to admit I have been a Ford guy, and its hard to look outside the box. : ) I picked the Fusion because it gets really good ratings by consumer reports as being reliable. I don't really like the 2006-2009 bodywork on the Fusion (picky picky). I wish the Fusion came in a manual, with a decent engine combo, but even finding a Fusion S manual/2.5L is pretty damn hard. [**] Alternatively, I was considering a 2004-2006 Focus ZX4 ST (2.3L, manual), but those are pretty rare, and still go for $5-6K

I heard the Mazda3 or 6 were pretty good, but havnt done a lot of research yet. On the plus side, I bet the Mazda 3 or 6 has a pretty big following. I need to do further research.

thanks,

Mad Dog

[**] I have seen reviews that claim Ford sold a 2010-2011 Fusion sport 3.5/manual, but I have never ever seen one for sale, anywhere.

the first gen 6 (2003-2008) is the same as a first gen Fusion with only some interior/exterior changes. the chassis and drivetrain is the same.

Even using a bout 4-5 online car locators, its something of a game trying to find something with the correct parameters. I am trying to find something 70K miles or less (think: dependable), gets good Consumer Reports ratings. If I want a Focus or Mazda3, I want manual transmission.
As far as I can see, even a low end Mazda3/Focus of 70K miles (2010-2102 or so) or less will run you $10K. Earlier than 2010 and most smaller cars for sale tend to have 100K or more.

Oddly enough Im having fun with the search.

thanks,

Mad Dog

No Title

It is done ! Ford Fusion Sport 2012, 9500 miles. Candy metallic red. I couldnt resist. Fear not, Contour SVT #1110 ! I continue to rebuild you better than ever. Suspension, interior, paint, engine, transmission, electrical, etc. its all going to get done. My fear is gone and I can learn without having to cram it all in weekend increments.

Mad Dog

Attachments

• photo15951.JPG
    photo15951.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 0
HolyGrailChoseWisely.jpg

Nice. Good choice for a daily driver is something reliable and a little bit boring that won't carry the temptation to add it to the "cars I want to modify" list. A newer Fusion won't nickel and dime you to death with maintenance and repairs, so you can concentrate on the Contour. Glad you didn't get another SVT Contour, you didn't need another high maintenance girlfriend.

That's some low miles on a 2102 Fusion, was it a grandma car? My 2008 Milan Premier just turned over 18,500 miles.

looks good!! good Choice!! super low miles, Great find!! Now the SVT can be a garage queen like she deserves after you get her all fixed up. some year i'm going to want a fusion until then I'll run the wheels off the vehicle I have haha

The Fusion was a fleet vehicle. It must of been unpopular with such low miles. Well kept, though. I took out a 5 year warranty on it, just for peace of mind, and while I already have thoughts about messing with it (drop it 1", new exhaust, better intake….no….must resist….), I won't while the warranty in in effect. Of course, supersixmotorsports does do intake manifold porting and…..no, STOP IT ! NO No No.

I have to say, I had forgotten what a fully charged AC system feels like. This thing gets cold, fast. I will throw out a recommend for CarMax. Quick and painless and low stress.

Comparing the 2 vehicles, the Fusion is more refined and has more gizmos. 15 years will do that. Its a good ride, and pretty peppy (3.5L Cyclone, 263 HP). On the downside, it has a select shift auto trans (I would of preferred manual, but the sport doesn't come in manual), and the cabin visibility isn't as good as the contour.

Im still pretty happy. So, back to work, gotta fix up the contour spoiler first….then…...

Mad Dog

FYI…about the Fusion…. most of the automatic transmission Fusion's use the 6F35 (except the Sport and AWD versions), which has more problems than normal. If you have a 6F35, pay attention to tech bulletins and look out for a few symptoms of trouble.

Mad Dog did a lot of research.

Mad Dog

...and while I already have thoughts about messing with it (drop it 1", new exhaust, better intake….no….must resist….), I won't while the warranty in in effect. Of course, supersixmotorsports does do intake manifold porting and…..no, STOP IT ! NO No No.

I have been thinking about these Enkei EKM3 wheels in 18X8 for the Milan, went as far as buying a set of TPMS modules for them.
http://www.steedafusion.com/enkei-ekm3-wheel-18x8-06-12-576-4428806540gm/

Tire Rack has these wheels less expensively.

Was surprised how much stuff Steeda has for the Fusion platform.
http://www.steedafusion.com/2006-2009-fusion-parts/

I am pretty pleased. I did the research, made a decision and executed promptly. Shiny red car ! : )

Steeda does offer a fair number of things for it, but some of them look like snake oil - the throttle body spacer, for example.

Unfortunately, the technical excellence I find on this webpage - people who really dig into the car, is somewhat absent on the fusion forums I have been to.

Mad Dog

Back