• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parts to save before junk yard

BlackE1

Veteran CEG'er
I am looking for some advice on what parts to save from a 2000 SVT before it goes to the junk yard. The body is hacked up for sheet metal i needed for my other svt. The whole front end has been already used, i have the engine torn down (spun bearing) but have not listed the parts for sale yet. Transmission sale fell through and going to try again. The sub frame and suspension is out already guessing its not really work anything.

So that leaves the interior and the rear end. What parts should i try to save before i take the vehicle to the junk yard?

The 2000 SVT ECU (should be an XGT0) is a rare one. Might save that (along with the chipped keys)?

If the interior is in good shape, the soft vinyl stuff might be worth saving.

Where are you located? Some of the stuff may be difficult to sell if you have to charge a bunch for shipping.

My personal opinion is to save anything that is SVT specific, just to keep the parts from getting too rare. admittedly, you'd be doing more of a service to the community, rather than raking in the cash...:rolleyes: but 10 years from now, a nicely restored SVTC might be worth more than $3500 :shrug: remembering that in 7 years, the svt contour becomes "Classic" which usually marks the beginning of mental collectors of cars that were rare, unique, or limited edition.

Yes, thats my goal is to save anything that someone could need. I got a lot of support on parts from CEG when i rebuilt my 98. So i want to save stuff people may need and at this point i need the room in the garage and not looking to make any money on parts but to have them if someone needs them rather then in the junk yard.

I am located in Genoa City wi near lake geneva.

I just got done doing exactly what you are speaking about.. the only things I couldn't pull was the trans and ECU.... Everything I ripped out.. including tail lights/ wiring harness to run 3 brake light either in the spoiler or parcel shelf.. I removed my entire interior.. and dash board if its' in good shape.

When all was said and done.. with the motor missing the top end.. the car weighed 2560lbs i got 128$ in scrap for it..minus 50$ to tow it there..

I agree completely with what Hylix has said.. Think about it like this... there were 11,445 cars made.. every time we crush/destroy/crash one the value of the ones remaining increase in theory... some people say these will never be worth anything.. I disagree..

The ONLY Ford SVT they made less of is the Cobra R... so to think these won't be worth anything is just stupid.. I literally see more Laborghinis and Ferrari's than I do of SVT contours.

I want both rear wheel well arches, I will even come cut them myself if they aren't rusted. I'll PM you my number

I agree completely with what Hylix has said.. Think about it like this... there were 11,445 cars made.. every time we crush/destroy/crash one the value of the ones remaining increase in theory... some people say these will never be worth anything.. I disagree..

The ONLY Ford SVT they made less of is the Cobra R... so to think these won't be worth anything is just stupid.. I literally see more Laborghinis and Ferrari's than I do of SVT contours.
As the original, long term owner of several of Ford's Red headed stepchildren, I would not hold my breath waiting for any of them to appreciate in value. The money I've spent on "special" cars over the past near 40 years would have been far better off if invested in the stock market.

That said, I do appreciate folks who are willing to save valuable and one-off parts, but the reason you see more "Laborghinis and Ferrari's" is because Laborghinis and Ferrari's don't do this, but Contours do. (Photo courtesy of terryford8.) gqjXBsnh.jpg

Don't see cars like this here in Colorado unless they immigrated from the Rust Belt. I've seen many SVT Contours hit the junkyard because they needed a new clutch.

i have good rockers and feel bad taking it to the junk yard but the time and tools to get it off just is not worth it.

This svt is heading to the junk yard very beat up and many parts were used to save my 98.5 with only 47k miles so it did its job saving a piece of history (i have the certificate). It will be gone tomorrow. I saved a bunch of stuff people may need so watch the classifieds.

Back