• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why Contour Svt has 195hp, and Mondeo st200 has 205hp?

MondeoFinland

CEG'er
Title tells it all.
Why Contour Svt has 195hp, and Mondeo st200 has 205hp?

I have st200 heads and they are different than normal 170hv v6. Do Svt has different heads?

And exhaust, are there differences.
Tb, Uim,Lim are same. Camshafts are same...

Where comes 10hp, does this have to do with emission?

Picture, head difference, look intake channels...

Attachments

• photo17416.JPG
    photo17416.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
The 1998 SVT came with 195 later years with 200 due to lower intake manifold is slightly larger/tuning.

The difference in the st200 engine it self is non exsistant. but is probably (HP) Horsepower vs. Brake Horsepower (BHP) It's just math.

If you are really worried about 5 hp you should move onto a new car

Metric horsepower (PS) and good old fashioned 'Merican horsepower (HP) are slightly different mathematically.

HP = PS X 0.98632

So 205 PS would be 202 HP, and honestly, even with modern manufacturing tolerances as good as they are, if you pulled a sample of engines off a manufacturing line, you'd be lucky if the variance engine-to-engine was +/-1%, +/-2% or greater is probably the norm.

I was with Ford back then, and I recall a visit from John Coletti, then manager of Ford SVT, and he related when they were tasked with the SVT Contour, they shipped a sample of 2.5L Duratec V6 engines off the Contour engine assembly line to Roush Technologies for evaluation on their engine dynos. They were disappointed to learn that for an engine "rated" at 170HP, not a single unit made over 160HP, and statistically, that put their 200HP target over 10HP further away. Coletti lobbied Ford upper management for a 3.0L in the SVT, but that request was denied.

I have vague memories of the last of the SVT Contours in 2000 MY, displacement was reduced from 2.544L to 2.495L to avoid a displacement tax issue in Europe, and I think the compression was bumped up a bit to compensate for the reduced displacement. If memory serves this was the Duratec VE.

A lot of water under the bridge since those days, my memory may be faulty on a few details, but I think it's all pretty accurate.

Back