• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Chains on a SVT contour?

Svt#224

CEG'er
I know in the owners manual it says NO chains. But anyone have experience? Planning on a trip to Tahoe with possibility of snow. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive something else better suited for the snow? Good chance chains would mark up the wheels. If you drive it in the winter a set of snow tires should be fine, imho.

(Untitled)

I know. My only other option will be a 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the v10. Needless to say that thing gets about 1/3 the fuel economy of the SVT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These cars don't have much clearance between the tire inner sidewall and the strut body, don't think there's room there for chains.

Proper snow tires? I run General Altimax Arctics in the winter here (Colorado) on my SVT Contour and my wife's Mercury Tracer, great tires in the snow. Eh, probably not practical or fiscally appropriate, I see you live in San Diego.

Rent something appropriate to drive to Tahoe?

Yeah probably not worth risking it. I have Toyo Extensa HP tires. Definitely would not be the best for snow. Guess I shall be taking the gas pig :(

Back