• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Swap Question

slow98SVT

CEG'er
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place for this question, I wasn't exactly sure where to post it. As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I have a 98 CSVT that is rusted beyond reasonable repair, the unibody rails make a crunching sound when jacking the car up, so it is a structural issue. My plan is to find a Contour or Mystique body that is in decent shape and swap all my SVT parts into it, which brings me to my question. I am having difficulty finding cars at all, and when I do find them they're primarily four cylinder cars and usually automatics at that. I've been reading to find if anyone has done a 4 cyl to 6 cyl swap, and I mostly just find people saying you'd be better off buying a 2.5 car, which I understand but since I have a complete parts car I'm wondering if it would really be that big of a deal. I can't imagine ford would change that much between the two engines, it just wouldn't make a lot of financial sense I wouldn't think. I'd appreciate any input on this. Thanks

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. I assumed that ford wouldn't want to make major changes to the platform just to fit a different engine in, and if you rule out 4 cylinder cars that really cuts down on available cars. Thanks for the response, it was very helpful.

Back