• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OPTIMA battery?? is it possible....

'Heat kills batteries'

Amen and X2. The most batteries I changed were always in the summer here in Texas, we looked at every 100 degree day as a battery day. Maybe 3 or 4 to 2 ratio as compared to winter.

I learned early on my cars to yank any fancy battery 'detail cover'; it makes problems worse and worse until culminating in the Focus, where it melts the battery cables to burn the car down to the ground. The cables are too small in gauge to save Ford money on copper and they melt easily, toss the battery cover and they live MUCH longer.

Checking a RECYCLED battery today after charging, starts the Tempo fine and now almost EIGHT years old and I bought for around $30. O'Reilly branded one until the labels got stripped off.

You guys pay well over $100 a battery if you want, I don't and never get stranded. 3 year warranty on an Optima? It's a joke compared to the price. I got plenty of other things to use that cash on.

lol good for you!

For my beater I couldn't care less.

For my other cars I have my reasons.

amc49. Changing the world one battery at a time :laugh:

I used to change the world one 800 hp. AMC engine at a time back in the mid '70s, lemme know when you catch up.....................1500 hp. 720 inch BBC pro stock Camaros in the late '80s. I turned all that hi-perf stuff inward to then figure out whopping numbers of out-of-the-box solutions to things people commonly spend way too much money on trying to get fixed and still often not succeeding. Not this boy, my brain is my profit center, I routinely pay myself the equivalent of $100, $200, and lots of times way over that per hour in effect.

Batteries aren't spit, I pay maybe $1 on $20 most other people spend on cars. Just fixed non-working a/c on one last week for 60 cents lol. Freezes your butt off now. The Contour ATX (CD4E) I rebuilt myself in '07 and still working perfectly today, most of the shops including the dealers themselves have utter fits with that one, blowing them up over and over. I watched the Ford dealership clients we had go there and had laughing fits doing it. 10 years later and they still learned nothing in the Escapes using same trans. The same across the street from the local GM dealership where our family garage had to fix all the cars the GM guys simply could not touch without making them worse. That garage saw all modern hi-perf engines go through it, countless SBC (up to 450 inches), BBC, Boss 302 and 351 Ford, big inch Ford of all types, 426 Hemi and 440 Mopar, the list goes on and on. Most were drag engines, some oval track and drag boat and offshore powerboat racers. Along the way I raced both 2 stroke and 4 motorcycles of all types. Lots of porting and engine building there too. Why nothing is sacred in a car or bike to me, it all is moldable to do what you want and I 'butcher' factory parts all the time at the drop of a hat to improve them over OEM. With Ford and their cynical corporate outlook over the last 20+ years that has grown to save me so much there is no way to accurately put a number to the savings other than huge. I have gotten fed up with the way they do their customers and switched to Nissan now. Learning them like lightning now.

Yeah, batteries are all I know...............(snicker)

Back