• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

First track outing and survived. Know what I want to modify first.

Lordred

New CEG'er
The brakes! By golly the brakes are easily the worst part about our Contours!

But I had a blast.

All stock: with everything that could be easily removed taken out.

8CHlD29.jpg

oqXyq3Q.jpg

YsmNLc7.jpg

Nice pictures!!!! You are correct, the brakes need some attention. PM soundqsvt (BOB) and see what setup he has. He puts his car on the track all the time and is still running stock rotor/pad sizes.

I'm going to be getting the caliper adaptors to run SVTF front rotors, and putting the front rotors in the back.

That is a really good braking upgrade that is well balanced for the car. Not very expensive either.

The brakes are not that bad, if you have the correct pads. I was running some better than stock semi metallic pads for my track events until 2017. After upgrading to slotted Stop Tech rotors, the semi metallic pads didn't stand a chance. I am now running EBC Yellow Stuff track pads and they were great on the track.

Be careful if you start changing rotor sizes on the front and rear. Ask Joe how that worked for him at the track. (hint, it didn't, and freaked out his instructor if I remember correctly).

Where was your track event? And is that a transponder strapped to your grille? Don't let your insurance company find those pictures or you'll get dropped like a hot rock. You have a racecar because of it and they don't insure race cars.

I didn't go with the EBC's due to the time table available before my 1st track day. I currently have Centric pads front and back, they did get a little better after a few sessions, but compared to my Focus ST, they are LIGHT YEARS worse.

Now when you say his going larger didn't work, are you referring to locking up brakes? or did the caliper adapters fail? I have the option to simply get SVT-F calipers for the front to go with the rotors.

However I want the Contour to stop at least as well as the Focus does before I dream of adding power. (which I don't want to do in the mid-term, short and mid-term goals are all related to slowing down, and turning)

I think the issue was that the front/rear braking bias got messed up. and the rears were doing more than they should (relative to the fronts) which made the rear end try to jump out if not braking in a perfectly straight line. He spun out on track a few times. It was nearly 4 years ago, so I may not have all the details correct.

I am also running stock powertrain in my Contour. All my track relevant upgrades have been suspension, braking, and subframe connectors. If you're still using only the OEM 3 point seat belt, I recommend getting the CG Lock device. It keeps the lap portion of your seat belt tight, holding you in the seat better, without restricting your movements from the upper portion of the belt. I started using it last year and I noticed a big difference at the 3 events I did in 2017. Check it out here... http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defau...ock-performance-add-on-for-your-seatbelt.html

Last edited:
I think the issue was that the front/rear braking bias got messed up. and the rears were doing more than they should (relative to the fronts) which made the rear end try to jump out if not braking in a perfectly straight line. He spun out on track a few times. It was nearly 4 years ago, so I may not have all the details correct.

I am also running stock powertrain in my Contour. All my track relevant upgrades have been suspension, braking, and subframe connectors. If you're still using only the OEM 3 point seat belt, I recommend getting the CG Lock device. It keeps the lap portion of your seat belt tight, holding you in the seat better, without restricting your movements from the upper portion of the belt. I started using it last year and I noticed a big difference at the 3 events I did in 2017. Check it out here... http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defau...ock-performance-add-on-for-your-seatbelt.html

i have that same problem with my stock calipers... hoping the new front wilwoods will help

Where was your track event?
Willow Springs: Streets of Willow

And is that a transponder strapped to your grille?
Yes, and we all know our upper grill is useless as a cooling hole.

Don't let your insurance company find those pictures or you'll get dropped like a hot rock. You have a racecar because of it and they don't insure race cars.
Not an issue, I was upfront with my insurance that this car is going to primarily be a track car, but will be driven to the track. It only has liability and act of god insurance on it.

So, I picked up a second so the first one wouldn't be lonely, non running, but lots of 'impossible' to get parts.

VAZpnMR.jpg

28UMhRa.jpg

T6VXqlx.jpg

dXM4s4Y.jpg

I think I can make the black one run, the engine cranks smoothly, the previous owner said they personally changed the timing chain, but it never ran after they did. Me thinks 180° out.

The brakes! By golly the brakes are easily the worst part about our Contours!

You could remove the fog lights and run a cooling duct to each rotor.

Not sure if that would contravene your road legality.... I guess you could just remove the fog lights at the track

Are they 13" rotors on that ST ? lol....G.

I bought a set of those .... scraped all the embarrassing red paint off the calipers and sprayed them a sleeper silver color .

.... roll on the warm weather ...G.

Back