• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thoughts on battery relocation to trunk

xStillb0rn

CEG'er
I am considering relocating my battery to my trunk. I am wondering how hard it is to do and also where I would find a kit to do it? Or is it something that I should not consider? I am curious because I recently did a full 3L swap and have a cold air intake so the room for the battery and the fuse box is not enough...I am trying to figure out a fix instead of cutting any body panels or anything trying to move the tube for the CAI...Thank you...

I am sure there are kits that you can find but you can also get the parts yourself. You will need 4 gage or larger, a battery box (or tray for a sealed battery), terminals, circuit breaker and a distribution block. Make sure you get quality items.

Over all the install isn't hard. Just need to get the wire back to the trunk. I went through the firewall, with a grommet, and under the door trim, under the back seat and back to the battery. Existing positive wires get connected to a distribution block and the ground need to be attached to the frame. The circuit breaker is placed near the battery and it all needs to be mounted to the trunk floor.

In my case I relocated the battery to make space for a turbo .... may not be worth your time.

Same as any circuit. If somthing happens to the wire from the trunk to the fuse box (Ie grounds it self) it would trip. rather than potentially cause fire.

Shorted car batteries like to explode, rather violently, so connecting one to 15 foot of large gauge cable and then snaking said cable all over the (grounded) body sheet metal is asking for trouble, a circuit breaker very near the battery is a good idea, this is also why there are positive terminal covers. During crashes of even moderate intensity, car batteries have a tendency to break their mountings and move around quite a lot, and often will move enough to disconnect themselves from the vehicle electrical system, this is why airbag deployment systems have their own separate backup power supplies.

Back