• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel tank filler neck

Gotta drop the tank

Gotta drop the tank

You gotta drop the tank far enough to allow the filler neck to separate from the tank. The real bugger is that little white plastic thing connecting the tank and filler. I could not get it to release so I broke it, took a while for the local ford dealer to get a new one.

But do you really need to pull the filler tube? Are you doing this because you hate the fill up of a thousand clicks? If so try rotating the filler nozzle so that it is upside down. That has helped many on this list.

I am doing this because it is leaking fuel right where the neck goes into the tank. I searched with google and found a thread over at ford contour.org, to remove the white clip you need to push it down towards the tank and spin it 45 deg in either direction. Also the parts cost me under $20 from my local dealer.

I have now emptied and dropped the tank twice in as many days. the first time I did it I pushed the gasket onto the filler pipe before inserting it into the tank as other people have stated they did. There is only one problem with doing it this way... When you put the filler neck into rubber gasket before sliding the filler pipe into the tank, it expands the rubber gasket, and prevents it from seating into the tank. Mine slid right up the filler pipe and never seated in the tank. When I filled it up after the first time the leak was even worse than it was originally.

The far easier way to replace that gasket is to snap it into the tank. I applied a very very thin film of grease (NOT silicone grease either) The Ford TSB says to use petroleum jelly to the filler neck. Then I had someone else watch the filler pipe and make sure I had it centered in the opening as I pushed the gas tank back into position. The only way you are going to push the gasket into the tank is if you do not pay attention to the filler neck as you push the tank back up into position. Once the filler pipe is started into the gasket It is not possible to push the gasket into the tank as the filler pipe expands it.

Its not a very difficult job to do if your tank is almost empty. I had to pump 6 gallons of gas out the first time and 10 out the second time. The most important part is to make sure the filler neck is centered in the gasket as you push the tank back into place.

Back