• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What did you do to your Contour today?

No Title

Today I drove it.

Attachments

• photo15308.jpg
    photo15308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo15309.jpg
    photo15309.jpg
    999.5 KB · Views: 0
The SVT made its monthly saunter around the neighborhood today as I needed the garage for my other car. It runs as great as ever, and I'm thinking I need to make a NY resolution to drive it more often next spring.

rouar nice. Nothing like clear lights. I have brand new Ford lights still in the box I got years back before Ford discontinued them. I open them every now and then just to admire them lol. post some pics when they are installed.

I thought about taking them out of the garage yesterday. That count for anything?

maybe we should make a thread on what you didn't do to your contour today.. or what you thought about doing to your contour! haha, I thought about having the gf drive it to work but it was rainy and cold lol

Thanks guys, I haven't mounted them yet. (Maybe they'll hang out in the box for a while, like the Audi A4 sidemarkers I bought in 2012, and the speakers I got in 2013...)
But it's step 1 of working on the exterior aesthetics.

I'm kicking myself for not taking the car out for a spin a couple of days ago when most of the salt was washed off the roads. Now it's snowing again!

i thought about getting ready to bring home from storage. finally getting our first round of thunderstorms to wash the road salt off.
hopefully she pours for a few days so i can enjoy her again.

Replaced the water pump belt yesterday after it overheated on the freeway. Was shredded. Need to replace the main serpentine belt and upper o2 sensors.

I notice that the upper o2 sensors do not match by manufacturer. Ones I have are from the same manufacturer.

No Title

Got back from taking the SVT to Wisconsin last Wednesday. Flew out to SZ. Flew back to Chicago and yesterday drove her 8 hours back home! Today put the white face on the headlight switch- and rolled over 123,000 miles :)

Attachments

• photo15855.jpg
    photo15855.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
No Title

Just two days ago I replaced all struts, ball joints, sway links and tie rod ends on my 98 Contour... an epic project.

Attachments

• photo15935.jpg
    photo15935.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo15936.jpg
    photo15936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Well I prepared for this in advance, like a week in advance. I don't have air tools or a lift, so the first part was spraying and soaking all bolts in PB blaster, getting the rotors off and jacking it up as high as possible, which wasn't that high and I have a sore back to prove it. I also was not pressured to get this done ASAP, so I took my time and had some fun doing it... I also got a real nice pry bar for when you have to bend the control arm down to release the strut from the knuckle. When I got tired I just walk away and come back when I felt like it. In total it took three days, but that was working on it a few hours here and a few there.

I did curse a bit when I ripped the new ball joint boot prying the knuckle onto the stud, but that was about it.

All in all it was a pleasure and it was humbling not paying 485 in labor charges.

Now rewind when I did the bearings on my Mystique....now that was a f'cking nightmare.

Also note the use of 4 jack stands plus the tires under the rockers to lift the front end up.
Excessive, but I'm not chancing a car and suspension hub landing in my lap as a pry and bang the suspension apart.
It was rock solid like this and I'm glad I am safety oriented like this. Don't use cement blocks...ever... Use stands on hard surface and good jacks.
It's worth the time to plan it safely.

Just a little safety reminder for y'all.

I ended up taking 2 weeks (I wrote the 2 how-tos) because of mistakes I made. I had to figure out what I did wrong. This all happened even after I did a lot of research and planned it out. : )

Mad Dog

Took my prairie tan carpet out and pressure washed it. Looks like new now. Got it hanging in the garage now, waiting on it to dry. Probably be a week before it is completely dry, but well worth it.

Back