• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'96 SE MTX has seen better days

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
It's a sad day. My old '96 SE MTX is probably past it's prime. My dad has been driving it for the last 10 years and hasn't really put any money into keeping it as nice as I would have, but he also hasn't really driven it that much.

There's a little bit of rust along the bottom edge of the front doors, and some at the edge of the hood where the paint has peeled off. The paint (T-red) is generally not in great shape and the clear coat is peeling on the back bumper. No major dents, but some scratches and spots where the touchup paint is obvious.

The interior is not great either. Seats are in one piece but there's a bad patch job on the driver's seat right on the cushion. other than that they're cloth and in fine condition. The gray plastics have yellowed a bit in some places, and not in others. The vinyl on the door panels is peeling around the edges, etc.

Overall the car runs ok. The motor was rebuilt about 5 years ago and hasn't been without a CEL since, but still has the same gusto that I remember.

I really loved this car and am almost considering having it fixed up, as foolish as that would be. Something about the way this thing drives... The suspension is a perfect blend of sport and comfort, and I actually prefer the way it rides over my SVT. The torque band is also different than the SVT, feeling a little fatter in the lower rpm. Those bucket seats with the awesome side bolstering...and I'm sure a lot of it is nostalgia as well.

I don't have the time or energy to part this thing out. Who would say I'm the biggest idiot in the world to put money into fixing this thing up? I'm sure it would cost way more than the car is worth. But even after driving a lot of other cars, I can't say anything has had the charisma that this car had in its prime.

Sorry for the rant, just got to thinking about it.

I love my 95 Se MTX I say if it is something you like that much and can find the part and afford it fix it up

That's kind of how I felt. I was searching for a new daily driver some months back, and almost bought it from my dad (even though I gave it to him originally). Only issue is I wanted more utility so I got a wagon. Ended up with a Volvo V50 T5 turbo AWD wagon with a 6 speed manual. Nice car, but it still doesn't make me grin the way that SE did.

I'm willing to bet most of the parts wouldn't be available for interior, but I have a good interior guy who can work something out. Same with a paint guy, and mechanically it's really not bad, but I'm sure it needs some attention to chase the CEL's out of it.

Back