• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My very own hesitation/bucking thread

My bucking ended up being the Neutral Safety Switch (Transmission Range Sensor)

I figured I would let everyone know, my 99 SVT with 230K miles developed this problem. At about 1,500-2,000 RPM's the car would buck and until it got over about 2,000 RPM's. If I eased through the RPM's the problem wasn't noticeable, but as soon as I was under moderate to heavy engine load, the bucking would start. Plugs were replaced about 10,000 miles ago with OEM units. Wires were replaced 130K miles ago with OEM units. The problem probably started a few hundred miles ago. I went and just replaced both plugs and wires this weekend. Problem immediately cleared up and so far has been gone for 2 days.

If I had to guess, the connection between the wires and coil pack is where my problem was coming from. The two clips on each wire don't want to stay seated into the coil pack. I replaced the valve cover gaskets a few months ago and had to take off the coil pack. My guess is I knocked one loose during that time.

Still having a problem?

I had similar. Car drives fine, till I bring it over 35-40 mph, then the car hesitates for a moment and starts bucking and going into 3rd gear.

Brought it to a local transmission place and I think they either tightened or replace a transmission plate for around $269 total cost of repair. Car has been driving smooth since then. that was in 2015.

Back