• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flickering lights?

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I had my alternator replaced a couple of years ago, and ever since there has been a very slight flickering of my interior and exterior lights when RPM are from 1500 to 2000. I assume the alternator is working fine since the battery is staying charged, and I actually replaced my old battery last winter. Should I look at a new alternator or could it be something else?

There's a how to on NECO on how to fix that. Basically you take that thin wire from the alternator and splice it in to the other wire on the alternator. Look in their stickied How-to's.

I followed that and have been flicker free for 4 years...

So the wire that is cut and moved to the big +12V output must be the voltage regulator "sensing" wire?

Wow, I didn't even think to check for more responses. Thanks! I'm pretty sure it was a reman'd alternator. If that is the issue, will the wire mod not have any benefit?

So the wire that is cut and moved to the big +12V output must be the voltage regulator "sensing" wire?

That is correct. The wire runs up to the fog lamp fuse to sense the voltage in the junction box. By cutting it and cutting it to the +12V output of the alternator it will get the voltage at that point.

The late model Cougar alternator design changed. Not only did the mounting style change but the connector only has 2 wires in lieu of 3, IIRC. It senses the voltage internally, again, IIRC.

Most likely the change to the PWM modulated alt which is controlled by the PCM. The voltage regulators work totally different.

Back