• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Airbag/Turn signal Hijinx

FrancisPennysac

Veteran CEG'er
OK so basically, on occasion my turn signals either won't come on, or will come on and shut off.... It does this randomly back and forth. Sometimes ill drive for 3 hrs with no problems...other times I can't even get them to continue to blink more than once without having to "play" with the switch.

I have replaced the turn signal switch itself.. and the old one does the same thing.. i am looking into the relay although i would think they would either work fine or not at all if relay was the case.

Now just simply touching the switch is enough to get a blink or two out of them, so as im sitting at a stop I must "play" with my turn signal switch just to make it seem as if my blinkers are working fine.. My question is...is there any connection to the "clock spring" the car was in a wreck,AB did deploy, I have the "3-2" airbag light code. Im wondering if it is somehow connected to my turn signal problem. Now ive owned the car for about a year and the turnsignal problem just started back in october. Ive had the airbag "3-2"code light on since Ive owned it. Everything else electronically works fine i.e. horn, cruise, hazards, heat, radio, instrumentation.

So any ideas?? I had the steering collum apart and checked for broken or shorted out wires, didnt see anything. Should I change the relay to be sure?? Im tired of shooting in the dark and yes I should invest in a halfway decent multimeter...

On a side note? If my airbags are already deployed and dont work, how do I get my airbag light "3-2 code" to STOP blinking WITHOUT replacing the airbags/sensors? I cant just remove the bulb as it will beep. Can I just remove the whole system?? as I have zero plans of putting airbags back in. I know it controls the pre-tensioner on the seatbelts so would it render my belts useless if I remove it?? I know these are vague but im at my wits end...and I managed to get everyother light on the dash to NOT come on :) but now that hideous orange blinking monster rules my dash at night time and holy f*ck is it ANNOYING... so any help would be GREAT

Since the airbags deployed, you have to replace EVERYTHING on the airbag system to get it functional and turn off the light. Airbags, controller (which sometimes is in the center console), seatbelt tensioner assemblies, etc. The ECU controls the light and the coding on it.

When the airbags blow, it destroys the controller, it is a one time use item. That is why it is so expensive to fix.

Only issue with this is some insurance companies can refuse to insure a car without the equipment being functional.

I must add (in regards to the insurance issue) that when I have adapted a car/van with airbags for disabled access/drivability, the DOT and insurance industry requires I keep the system functional, even if I remove a devise holding the airbag, such as a seat or modify a roof which do have airbag systems now. If I pull a drivers seat that has an airbag, I have to rework the airbag within the structure of the car for a person in a wheelchair can roll up to the steering wheel, lock the chair in place and drive off. When I modify a roof that has side curtain airbags, I have to rework the structure of the mount and be able to raise the roofline for headroom for the wheelchair user.

The turn signals have nothing to do with the clockspring, it affects airbags and cruise control and horn only.

The airbag module writes crash information at the time of the accident and then they are disabled until they are wiped clean and reloaded with the car's information like model, VIN, etc. Ford can do this or send module off to those online that can do that.

Check your state laws, here in Texas you do not have to have airbag system operational to get car inspected but some states require it. Not wise though for shop techs to be disabling that stuff, the kind of thing one later gets sued for. Liability, liability everywhere as far as the eye can see...............................

My Contour is fine but I've bypassed the airbag light on my Focus which was in accident, once I found out the two wires at module harness connector to put together ( or ground one, I forget) it went out and forever. Have to read the schematic though to do it.

Thanks for the info. Ill check into replacing the airbag stuff and see how much it will run me roughly even if just from a junkyard.

Back