• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car stays running when high beams are on

joetucky

New CEG'er
So I can turn my ignition off, remove the key, and if my high beams are on, the car will stay running. The problem goes away if I remove the high beam relay, so I know it's gotta be something weird with that circuit. I was just wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before, so I can have a better starting point for when I look at it tomorrow. Too late and dark to do anything tonight. Thanks in advance guys

98 CSVT black w/ midnight blue interior

I'm fighting wiring on my 98 black with blue interior as well...

Quick questions, ant aftermarket parts installed? Radio? Security? Anything that may have altered the wiring under the dash?

(Untitled)

Yea it has an aftermarket stereo. No aftermarket security.

The guy who owned it before me really did a number on it. The rear windows don't roll down from the master switch or their own switches. And there's no lights on any of the window switches except for the passenger front. But I hear the wiring harnesses are garbage in the 98s

I would go through and check the wiring in the car for modifications from the previous owner and repair as you find damage. Unfortunately with all the issues your reporting it sounds like the previous owner did a terrible hackjob under the dash when the radio was installed.

But I hear the wiring harnesses are garbage in the 98s

This is the engine wiring harness for 95 through 98. The interior harness is not included in the "bad wiring harnesses". Sounds like someone screwed up the wiring under the dash, time to start tracing wires and making sure everything it good.

On second thought, iirc, the fuses for the high beams are in the engine compartment fuse box. I would look there for bare wires to start.

somehow the ignition circuit is connected or shorted to the high beam circuit. find out where they near eachother. either fusebox or maybe near the steering wheel

(Untitled)

Awesome thanks guys, I'll see what I can find tomorrow on my day off. I'll let everyone know what I find

Back