• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Warm car issues

Hello all,
I've had my 99 contour auto 2.0 for like 2 weeks now. On the drive home that I got it from I drove 400 miles and the car just started to surge. Idk any better way to describe it. The car doesn't register as overheating but it only does this when its hot. The car did it Tuesday for a short period of time. Then today it was like 95 degrees outside and the car did the same thing on the way home. It won't rev high or even get past 30 mph. Idk where to start.

Motor just jumped timing belt, you give a perfect description of it..............

'It won't rev high or even get past 30 mph.'

The 1383 code is for it too. Gonna have to fix that before going to other things.

Motor just jumped timing belt, you give a perfect description of it..............

'It won't rev high or even get past 30 mph.'

The 1383 code is for it too. Gonna have to fix that before going to other things.
My dad replaced the timing belt and whatnot before he sold me the car though. I think he said it's still out of timing a bit tho. And it only does this when its hot/warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those 2.0 zetecs can be a S.O.B. to get in time correctly on the first shot... PLENTY of post regarding this issue.
I'm sorry to say but you might want to double check it, obviously your now past the point of a "simple" repair. But find out from dad if he changed the tensioner/waterpump n such... The belt may be good but if the tensioner is shot it will cause it to slip and jump out of time again. So confirm this before "re-timing" the engine again..

When I had my done a lil bit ago the Tech said ti took him 3 times just to get it in PERFECT time.. Ford makes a tool to hold the cams just for this reason... Is it a VCT motor?

Yes, it will be a VCT motor. Someone just having done the job even more an indicator it's the belt, common to mess up later when not done right.

And car running fine cold but not over 30 mph once warm???, that's a hell of a stretch and no car does that pretty much. Or missing information or timeline from post.

VCT easily can be timed one time only and perfectly, just that nobody knows how to do it. I've done several and no problems at all.

I replaced my fuel pump a weekend or two ago and haven't had the issue since then. Hoping this solves it but if a mod comes across this you can delete it or lock it. Thanks

Back