• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine squeal

az5oh

CEG'er
So, I am currently on a road trip and recently noticed this loud squeal coming from the hood. I stopped at an auto parts store and picked up belt dressing, thinking it was the serpentine belt, but that is not correct. It definitely appears to be coming from the timing chain area (or the drivers side of the engine in general).

There is no rattling or other noises that seem to be common with the tensioner, just a squeal that gets louder as engine speed increases.

Is there a possibility that I could have a lubrication problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'd first suspect either the pulley bearing on the serp belt tensioner or the bearings on the fixed tensioner pulley. If you can borrow a belt tensioner tool, take off the serp belt, start the engine and see if the squeal is still there.

Timing chains are all passenger side of the engine, behind the serp belt, the only belt on the driver's side is the short water pump belt run from the cam shaft.

Also sent to your PM.

No Title

gmorrell - THANK YOU for your assistance on this. You were correct, it was the water pump tensioner pulley assy (see attached). I replaced that and the belt over the weekend.

Attachments

• photo16235.jpg
    photo16235.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back