• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel mileage seems too low

Slim57

CEG'er
On my 1995 Duratec V6 with MTX. I get 24 mpg at best, 22 on the last tank. Driving is a mixture of freeway and in town, more less even split. This is not any hot rod, just a plain jane sedan. Does this mileage seem low, with what others get?

This car does still have the rotten insulation on the harness that runs behind the engine, which may contribute to problems.

Thanks in advance.

What maintenance have you done? When where the plugs and wires last changed? What is the age of the O2 sensors? Has the intake ever been cleaned? Has the UIM and LIM gaskets ever been replaced? Are the secondaries working correctly? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

How long has the mpg been at the reported values? What is the milage you are getting per tank?

Fuel Economy for a 95 Contour SE

The reported mpg is 18 to 26 with a combined rating or 21 mpg. So by those numbers you are spot on for mixed driving.

I was getting 23mpg mixed for the past few years and I had somehow convinced myself it was all that gosh dang ethanol in the gas! I just recently changed my stock engine air filter and it went up to 25-26 mixed immediately! Can't believe I went so long without changing it. So basic and cheap.

Back