• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Temperature Issues

Datonaku

CEG'er
The temperature gauge reads just under the "N" sometimes the "O". Would this cause the fans to not cut on? The motor acts fine when cruising at highway speeds does seem to get alil hot in stop in go. Checked fuses already.

With some info and the OBD-II scanner I watched the coolant temp, while driving stayed at 190 idled to 218 and high speed fans kicked on, guess it's just a bad sending unit.

that is perfectly normal operation. The cluster gauge is just an indicator. If the coolant temp is running between 190 (thermostat temp) and 218 then its fine. On my car the low speed fan kicks in around 212. From my experience the V6 tends to stay around "N" or "O", if the cluster has "normal" on the temp gauge. There wise around 1/4 for the full range is where it sits. However my 2K SVT does sit right in the middle of the range.

Now are you saying that your low speed fan is not turning on?

Just remember that the temp gauge is not calibrated. Its just an indicator.

Are you sure the low speed is kicking in? The resistor has a tendency to rust out (bad location in the radiator shroud..collects moisture) - my car had overheating issues when I wasn't aware the fan had 2 modes of operation. As far as I know the low speed should be active whenever the AC is functioning (car has double duty of cooling the radiator fins and the condenser fins AFAIK)

In my case I was lazy and just unclipped my rusted resistor and installed my new one up in the engine bay and hold it with zip ties so it isn't in contact with any other parts

I believe that the high speed should turn on when the A/C is turned on. As I recall if people where having issues with the fans coming on at the low speed or not at all they would always turn on with the A/C.

I believe that the high speed should turn on when the A/C is turned on. As I recall if people where having issues with the fans coming on at the low speed or not at all they would always turn on with the A/C.

That jibes with my experience, with the A/C off, low speed fan will come on first, around 215F, high speed comes on about 230F IIRC. Turning on A/C or front defrost will start high speed fan.

Usually, the radiator fan will turn off once the vehicle speed exceeds 45MPH and coolant temp is under about 225F.

The factory coolant temp gauge is an idiot light with a pointer. If you think it's reading "lower" than normal (normal being sort of nebulous...), the gauge sender is probably old.

I know when it got to 218 a fan kicked on dropped to 200 and shut off, car has no a/c so I'm not running it. It's been acting fine. The open roads keep it at 190 95% of the time. My fear was just with traffic and overheating.

Back