• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Steering Fluid Leak

bigbear1963

New CEG'er
Hello everyone. I need suggestions regarding a power steering leak I am having at the hose connection to my power steering pump, which I recently changed, on my '99 Contour SVT 2.5L. I believe the leak is on the high pressure side, based on the high pitched noise I hear while the engine is running. There is a lot of fluid loss while driving. I did replace the Teflon washer supplied with the new pump, and even following the directions on soaking it in "warm" water, really did not help much in installing it. So, I think I may have stretched the Teflon washer, and I was thinking, as a solution, to wrap the threads with Teflon tape, to stop the leak. What is your opinion about that fix?

Wrapping the threads with Teflon tape probably won't help, because the leak is inside the fitting nut where the fitting nut O-ring seals around the tube.

Many of the members here have been through this, you have to replace the fitting nut on the tube for the pressure line to the rack, then the leak stops.

Start here:
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/gene...29#post1465329
(Start reading about post #76)

Eventually, the big hose from the P/S reservoir to the pump will start leaking too:
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/how-...r-to-pump-hose

The high pitched noise you hear is probably air getting into the system from the suction line between reservoir and pump, so eventually you'll need to do the second repair I linked. Contrary to popular lore, air cannot enter the system through leaking high pressure lines.

Welcome to the pleasantries of owning a 17 year old car for which factory replacement parts have dried up. Nobody, especially Ford, expected you to still be driving this high maintenance POS, but that's why we're all still here.

If it is the high pressure hose, there is a white Teflon o-ring that is available from amazon that you can use to stop the leak. Mine was doing the same thing and all that was needed was the o-ring replaced.

Probably not the teflon seal; probably the o-ring inside the fitting leaking BACKWARDS onto the hard line.

You can replace that entire elbow with a Gates part from Amazon for around $20.

Back