• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Chain question

SVTLAY

CEG'er
Hey guys I have a question about a recent 99 svt contour I just picked up. The guy I bought it from said that the timing chain came off and is the reason the car was not running.
Is this something that can happen if so how can I verify if it in fact is a timing chain? Will any damage happen to these engines if it did happen?
I tried to turn it on just recently and it would not turn over. I see no metal shavings in oil so think the engine is ok.
Anyone want to help me tackle this project? lol

Timing chains don't come off.

If it won't turn over with the starter then try turning it over with a wrench. If it turns then check the starter. If not then motor must come out.

OK thanks for the response! Just to be sure from what i read everyone is saying that these are non interference engines on the svt contour. Should the engine still be good if the chain did break?

OK thanks for the response! Just to be sure from what i read everyone is saying that these are non interference engines on the svt contour. Should the engine still be good if the chain did break?

The only engine that I know for sure is non-interference is the Zetec. But as stated I do not recall hearing about a chain failing. Tensioners making noise and needing to be replaced, yes. The "normal" Duratec engine failure is a spun rod bearing.

... it is possible that one of the chain guides broke up and the chain is jammed. . As said, take the valve covers off ...G.

Back