• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slapping? noise from rear bank

Con2er

CEG'er
So I've heard a noise like this before, but thought it had gone away. I took video and posted to You Tube.
https://youtu.be/CWWHDP1ofsM
I used the hillbilly stethoscope method and it is indeed the rear bank. Any ideas?

Searching makes me think rod or bearing. I don't know if an engine swap is something I want to do.

My car makes a noise pretty much identical to the one you posted. I am starting to think it is timing chain related because I have driven my car like this over 1000 miles. A rod is normally a lot louder from what I can tell. I am going to try to take a look soon. I am just really hesitant to say it is a rod. I also checked my oil when this sound was happening, and I saw no metal shavings.

I would NOT continue driving it like that, that sounds horrible.. like REALLY bad. Even if it "seems" ok don't be a fool and go blowing up a motor because you THOUGHT it was ok.

that noise is NOT ok at all..

Hope you're not still driving like that, no way is that a timing part noise. Piston smacking head sounds like to me. Rod spun bearing, noise can come and go as the bearing then rotates inside rod big end.

I might have another symptom. On three separate occasions I've heard what at first sounded like something hitting my car. I was on an Air Force base that allows sonic booms, so I thought maybe it was an unusually loud one.

Now I'm thinking I has some sort of backfire. It's time for a tune-up so I'm going to see how the car runs after that.

Yep dead bearing to me. My engine sounded exactly like that.

Did happen all the time or just when the engine was warm? There is no noise with a cold engine.

Back