• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"clicking-clacking metallic" --> Noise coming from passenger side motor near timing cover area?!!?!

tonyankyfan1

CEG'er
"clicking-clacking metallic" --> Noise coming from passenger side motor near timing cover area?!!?!

Greetings Gents,

"clicking-clacking metallic sounds" --> Noise coming from passenger side motor near timing cover area?!!?! Any idea's?!?!?! 98 mystique zetec

Thanks Anthony

Cant be wheel bearing, noise is when car is standing still at idle or engaged in D or R. I had the timing belt replaced about 3 years ago. It almost sounds like a heatshield rattle, but its coming from around the timing cover area. Thanks for the replies, guys. I am STUMPED!!!

Timing pulley shelling plastic pieces of itself. Piece of belt cut to then strike everything in there. I've seen Motorcraft pulleys lose their plastic way early. If so you'll be walking pretty quick when it takes out the belt. Maybe even tensioner if they changed belt only, common mistake, you change it ALL or don't do it.

Possible pass side engine mount too.

The sounds could be any number of things. Need to narrow it down. With a mechanic stethoscope or a screw driver start listening to different things. Also remove the accessory belt and see if the noise goes away. Also does the sounds change with engine rpm?

Forgot, it can be serp tensioner too, the arm moving around erratically from old dead part. Use a light to light up down around alt to see what the pulley is doing at idle, you'll see the erratic action that lines up with the noise. Even more this if noise disappears instantly as soon as engine is sped up and away from idle speed.

Back