• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

swapped plugs now have stuttering, misfiring

chefzane

New CEG'er
2000 mercury mystique 2.0 zetec
Swapped out plugs that were severly worn for new autolite app5364s, drove home that night just fine, hell even sounded better drove better, went out next day and soon as i started it up it was stuttering/misfiring like a plug was wrong or injector not working something, have since swapped all plugs around etc, breaking two damn it, new wires didnt touch anything else but wires and plugs, all correct order all seated well all gapped right, tried resetting pcm, tried moving **** around etc, i have had a code p1633 thats flashed on daily at start up for almost two years and never figured out why but as car ran just fine never worried about it, am i missing something here. coil maybe?

Well fixed the 1633 code thats plagued me for some time, now i went out to check the car again and the plug in cylinder 1 has soot all on it and the rest still are clean

it might be the injector causing the extra fuel to overload the cylinder with fuel. Also check the coil pack and the compression. A number of things can cause this and it is a process of testing and elimination.

Back