• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear crossmember totally rusted out on 2000 Contour Sport Auto car

JensenHealey

New CEG'er
So I don't know if this is supposed to go here or in the Discussion area. I just purchased a friend's 2000 Contour Sport automatic car with a totally rusted out rear crossmember. The car also has some rust in the rocker panels and dents on the driver's front & rear doors from a past sideswipe incident. The interior of the car is very nice and the car runs & drives fine. I am researching the procedure for removing & replacing the rear crossmember. I have looked at the new crossmembers available online as well as called around to several wrecking yards. I am guessing finding a good used on in a wrecking yard in the NE Ohio / Western PA area will be nearly impossible so I will probably have to end up doing the new bare corssmember.

I am a fairly decent mechanic but I am wondering if there is any sort of write-up or step-by-step guide that anyone might have done for changing out the rear crossmember. What other parts should I plan on replacing on the rear suspension from a rusted car while it is out? I have looked at the rear strut mounts and they seem solid.

Hints or advice always welcome.
--
Steve in NE Ohio

Back