• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lit-Door Lock Handle Removal??

FrancisPennysac

Veteran CEG'er
Ok, Now I know sometimes I can be a bit stupid..but the other week I was at the junkyard and tearing apart a 1996 Contour for it's heated mirror/Lit door locks..e.t.c..

Well I could NOT take off the door handle itself?? I know I am stupid and over thinking this.. but I have removed them before from my other SVT.. I don't remember how.

Inside the panel there is the door handle that attaches to the car with two 8MM bolts..(this is inside the door, front) I removed those..removed the Latching system that physically locks the door itself, removed all rods that run all the stuff.. There is now just the door handle itself and 1 single wire running to it for the light-up door lock..

Got the entire door harness out, and got to the handle and had to snip the lite up door lock wires to pull the harness as it appears you cannot disconnect the tab from the lock itself unless it is free from the door. Is this all making sense?? I know pictures would help

So I took the whole harness knowing I can patch the wires later for the door lock I got the main parts and the mirrors themselves. But for the life of me I could not figure out how to take off the door handle??

I feel sad even asking for help or admitting that, I recently motor swapped my friends miata from 1.6 to 1.8...clutch flywheel, torsen installed..e.t.c. and I can't take off a door handle?????? Smh

So Im at a loss is the earlier pre98 stuff different in it's way to remove it?? again I can disconnect everything from the inside of the door including what appears to be the ONLY way the door handle latch itself is held on and it doesn't move a inch.

that the only piece i now need is the door handle itself but I can't get it off???

Oh great one's of Contourloveland Your guidnace is requested in the pursuit of building a better, cooler, SVT :p

Back