• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fans wont disengage..remains on

96redrocket

New CEG'er
96' contour se v6
About 3/4 on my way to work the fans kick in (AC not on..its bot working anyway). The thing is that it remained on til I got to park the car at work. Curiosity got to me...I left the engine idle for about 5-10 min more. It still stayed on. I looked at the gauge inside and it was at in the normal range under between the N and O. Could it be the resistor? I live in Hawaii where its not that rainy or muddy, so the resistor should be ok. Anyways I changed the resistor a couple years ago. All the fluids are good. What could it be? Please help. Thanks guys.

Check to see if there is an air pocket at the coolant sensor, or near it. Open up the radiator cap, run the engine and see if any air excapes,. Otherwise, the high speed mode might be necessary de to where you live. It can come on at high speed if the radiator fins are blocked to prevent airflow from going through the radiator correctly,

Thanks for the response. I tried the above mentioned...all good. Watching the gauge I can see it fluctuate from the A back to the O. Coolant temp sensor maybe? If it is the coolant temp sensor..where is it located..photos maybe. Thanks again

The gauge sensor (1 wire) and the ECU sensor (2 wires) are two different devices installed close to each other on the coolant manifold near the water pump. If your coolant levels are good, the ECU sensor may be flaking out.

The fans will run for a few minutes after the car is off this is normal if they stay on and will not turn off or remain for a very long period then some trouble shooting needs to be done. if you have a meter you run a test of the coolant temp sensor and fan relay yourself. you need a reading of more 200ohms variance between cold and hot if there isn't then the sensor or connection is faulty. the fan relay should be in the 40-80 ohms range. good old trouble shooting will save you money. any good garage can run these checks pretty quick and then repalce them yourself if you want. best of luck

A few months ago, my temperature gauge pegged at redline. O'Reilly's sold me a sensor that they assured me was the right one. I found it and replaced it, noting the old one had disintegrated from corrosion. The gauge still didn't work, so the next salesman said I should have asked for a "gauge sensor," and I assured him that that is what I had asked for in the first place. Once that was installed (don't forget the proper sealant), I noticed the car ran much warmer than before and the fans weren't on as soon as the car starts. This was the 1996 V6 I picked up ten years ago, so I thought it was normal; the temperature gauge always pointed straight up, and now it points a bit more to the right.

Thanks for the replies guys. So there are 2 sensors that might be faulty. I know where the ECU is located, but I don't know where the gauge sensor is? I'll meter test these bad boys when I can get a location on both. Love this forum already. Very friendly and informative atmosphere.

Gauge sensor won't matter, it is just for the gauge in the dash, nothing else. It sounds like the gauge sensor is working well.

Gauge sensor won't matter, it is just for the gauge in the dash, nothing else. It sounds like the gauge sensor is working well.

Ok cool. I could eliminate the gauge sensor. Down to ECU and relays. Are the relays interchangable?

That happened on my 98 mystique and it was a bad ECT sensor. The ECT sensor is the coolant sensor utilized for the ECU located on the top of the T-stat housing. Swap a new one in and call it a day.
Anthony

Is there any easier way to remove the ECT switch? There's a lot of mess to go through to get to that bad boy

ECT sensor socket size

1996 contour 2.6 L V6

What size is the deep socket I would use to remove the ECT sensor. I've read that you would use a combo wrench, but there is no room to use such a tool to remove the part. I want to know the size, so i can go buy one if I don't have the size. thank you.

Back