• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission clunks and slips?

Hurrycane

CEG'er
Let my daughter take my car for a couple of days, so of course it acted up. Engine runs smoothly, but the clunking noise occurs occasionally, say four or five times in a half hour. Seems to happen most as it downshifts when I'm easing off the gas, but sometimes when it upshifts. Today it seemed to slip while climbing a slight hill, engine revving, speed dropping and something squealing on the driver's side in the front. Also, yesterday I revved it up to 4500 in the driveway, and the engine seemed to be rocking slowly from left to right. 99 Mystique, 200k miles, 2.5 l Duratec.

Thoughts?

Craig

The sounds issue seems like probably a broken trans/engine mount.

The trans slipping itself is a seperate issue, and I would recommend swaping the trans fluid with good Synthetic

Consider yourself lucky the trans got that old. They are well known for massive blowups way before that mileage. A design flaw, there is a cylinder inside with a snap ring groove close to the outer edge, the groove weakens the cylinder edge and then at some point the edge begins to break off to be ground up in like 3 layers of cylinder rotating around the broken one. It results in shrapnel going all through the trans and slipping is one sign of it getting bad. Mine at 125K with no issues ahead of time (some do that too) locked up the wheels on a freeway off-ramp at around 60 mph. Fun.

Go to youtube and look up CD4E transmission problems............

Learn to describe symptom better, no mount on the planet can do this............

'Today it seemed to slip while climbing a slight hill, engine revving, speed dropping...'

That is pretty much exclusively internal trans damage...............if true.

(yes this discussion is ages old)I think my trans has a combination of broken trans mounts and low trans fluid. It clunks hard when put into reverse, same with drive. Jerks forward when shifting into second and when shifting into 3rd most of the time, 4th seems fine. I have the 99 v6 auto btw

Back