• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IMRC Issues Again

This has been going on for a while, but I'm just now getting around to posting. I bought a used IMRC off of here and it worked great for around 2 weeks. What it's doing now is, going back and forth. It will open for sometimes 10 miles or sometimes a mile and then it won't open when getting on it. I know these things are sensitive to heat, but here's the kicker in my situation. If I get in it wide open and it doesn't open when it's supposed to, I can clutch it, kill the switch and cost for as little as 100 yards or so and pop the clutch and it will start working again. That may last until I'm where I'm going or it may just last for 3 or 4 times. I know they open around 3500 to 3700, but are they controlled by something other than RPM? This thing has me baffled once again. Thanks in advance.

Junk it and get another one, I would say heat is not your friend.. Anytime I have issues I just get another working one.. no sense screwing around with a broken unit.

If the sudden jump from a clutch kick makes it work again, I would check the Electronics side of it. make sure it's plugged in correctly, not loose.could be the issue right there..

But honestly, it sounds like it's on it's way out. Find a broken cougar or Tour and snag one!! Nothing other than RPM tells it to open (PCM)

Thanks guys. I'll try to find one somewhere. What all years had the IMRC? I saw in another post that they are all basically the same. Just not sure every year that they came on.

Thanks guys. What all years did they come on? I saw in another post that they are all basically the same. I just don't know what years they started using them.

It is possible that the intake runners are clogged and sticking. Only solution is to pull the intake and clean it. Any of the V6 versions work.

These engines don't like to be babied. They prefer a high rpm exercise regularly.

The intake was cleaned throughly about 12,000 miles ago when I put the 3L in it. As for babying it, that doesn't happen. That's why I need my IMRC to open all the time. Also why we put the SVT cams in the 3L during the swap. I'm a fan of RPMs. Thanks for the help guys.

ALL contour/cougars 95-and up that have a v6 have these.. when u plug it in make sure to rev the car to 3400 to make sure it works.

ALL contour/cougars 95-and up that have a v6 have these.. when u plug it in make sure to rev the car to 3400 to make sure it works.

This is not completely correct.

Yes all years have secondaries. However the 95 has a vacuum operated secondaries. They are actually open when the engine isn't running, vacuum closes them when the engine is started.

This is not completely correct.

Yes all years have secondaries. However the 95 has a vacuum operated secondaries. They are actually open when the engine isn't running, vacuum closes them when the engine is started.

whoops!! sorry, yes brapple is correct I forgot :( u darn 95s and ur old tech..

Back