• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throttle hang

Seafire XV

CEG'er
Ok, I know all about the infuriating throttle hang and fast idle that is common with these engines (V6). I just changed my IAC valve a month ago with a new Motorcraft part. It currently has about 1,000 miles on the IAC, and I am getting throttle hang as I go through the gears. Nothing crazy, just normal acceleration. What else makes the rpm's stick like this? It drives me crazy and is the most annoying thing I have ever experienced with a car. This is worse than the gearbox issues! My car has 197K miles and otherwise runs great. Short of cleaning the IAC every other week, what else can be done? Thanks in advance, everyone.

..... it can be caused by a vacuum leak anywhere on the intake side of the engine.

Get a piece of hose pipe and listen around the gasket joints for rushing air ......G.

Oh and since you were poking around behind the UIM .... check the vacuum hoses too.

Some "hang" in the throttle when shifting is normal. Pretty sure its designed into the PCM for emissions.

If there are no vacuum leaks complete the "throttle hang fix"

I'm aware of the slight rpm hang when going through the gears. When I say throttle hang I mean it sticks at 3,000 rpm. I think that's a bit more than normal. The vacuum leak idea sounds possible, I'll check that. Thanks a lot, guys.

If some nut has messed with the absolute TB butterfly closed setting...............well, that will most definitely do it too.

Throttle cable wear can do it too. TB warped during tightening is VERY common. Vacuum leak ANYWHERE after the MAF.

People commonly reuse the old IAC gasket thinking being rubber they are still good but the gasket takes a crush and then relieved it leaks when reused, since the part location or a new part with different flat profile doesn't seal like before. Leak, leak, leak.............................

People have such utter fits when changing IACs and most of them get changed for nothing. I've fixed IAC 'problem' after 'problem' and not once ever had to change the actual IAC itself over a long string of cars.

There is a trick where you get a copper piping endcap, drill a specific size hole in it and then shove it into one of the hoses in the intake system. I forget the size of hole and which hose you put it in. This can fix throttle hang but it sometimes takes a couple attempts at finding the right hole size to work. There should be a write-up somewhere on CEG that tells you how to do this; I had to do it on one of my Contours.

Back