• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/C compressor clutch cycling on and off? Is this normal...

tonyankyfan1

CEG'er
Hi Guys-

Just had my 98 mystique/ZETEC's HVAC system worked on at a shop, had them swap in a new accumulator/dryer and hose from dryer to Evap as well due to leakage. After the work was performed, i noticed the A.C. compressor clutch cycling on and off --> Is this normal?!?!?! Mind you, the A.C. is COLD even with cycling. BUT --> Because i recall, when i would be LOW on refridgerant, it acted up this way... Once i added refridergrant the compressor would stay on, never cycling.. Just wanna make sure.

Thanks Anthony

it seems like you already know the answer lol
go back to the shop and have them check it with their gauges and top it off if need be

Yes the AC is suppose to cycle. If its running all the time the system maybe over full. Fast cycling is an issue. This indicates that the system is low on R-134a.

Perfect example why most should let a shop do this type of work and not just go and buy the refill cans at the auto store, only getting half the picture of what the system is doing.

BTW, there are about 6 to 8 tables in the shop manual that determine if the system is running correctly. IIRC the system should cycle until the ambient temp is well over 90 degrees.

Yes the AC is suppose to cycle. If its running all the time the system maybe over full. Fast cycling is an issue. This indicates that the system is low on R-134a.

Perfect example why most should let a shop do this type of work and not just go and buy the refill cans at the auto store, only getting half the picture of what the system is doing.

BTW, there are about 6 to 8 tables in the shop manual that determine if the system is running correctly. IIRC the system should cycle until the ambient temp is well over 90 degrees.

HEY, THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR AWESOME INFORMATIVE REPLY.

it seems like you already know the answer lol
go back to the shop and have them check it with their gauges and top it off if need be

NOT REALLY, THESE CARS ARE NOT SIMPLE, LIKE MY FOXBODY. WHAT SEEMS LIKE COMMON SENSE AND NORMAL, ALWAYS HAS SOME DOUBLE SIDED ISSUE. HENCE MY QUESTION AND DOUBT.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, ANTHONY

Let me rephrase --> These cars were not built to work on them yourself, everything you do needs a lift, or you have to move 5 huge items out of the way to get to what you need to fix. Perfect example, I had to put a new oil pan gasket on the zetec LOL well, these cars have a 2 piece oil pain, the bulkhead and the pan. Just to change the gasket, you have to drop the entire exhaust, lift the motor out for clearance and 5 hours later finally done. Its stupid and ridiculous how ford built these cars. They were basically robbing the people who bought them down the road w repairs. Nevermind, if you have to swap in a new evaporator which is like a 7 hour job, removing the entire dashboard to get to the problem. They shouldve built these models more like the MUSTANGS, repair friendly..... Just my 2 cents.

They should've built these models more like the MUSTANGS, repair friendly..... Just my 2 cents.

You have obviously never changed the heater core or evap in a Fox chassis Mustang. :laugh: I'll agree that Mustang under hood and chassis repairs are cake compared to my SVT Contour, but anything related to Fox Mustang dash internals is Step 1: Remove entire dash assembly from vehicle. I've owned my SVO Mustang for 32 years, trust me, I've touched everything in it. Ford has been building hard to fix junk for decades, but oddly enough, I continue to own them...

Like it or not, Contours and Mystiques were designed to be built quickly and inexpensively in the body and assembly plants, this normally results in vehicles that are difficult to service, especially under the hood. Ford and the other's of the Big Three have very low per-unit profit margins for sedans and small cars. Trucks and SUV's are the high margin vehicles, so assembly costs for sedans and small cars have to be very low, or they would just stop making them.

When I was an engineer at Ford in the 90's, SUV's and trucks were so profitable per unit that some execs in the company were lobbying to completely cease making sedans and small cars.

You have obviously never changed the heater core or evap in a Fox chassis Mustang. :laugh: I'll agree that Mustang under hood and chassis repairs are cake compared to my SVT Contour, but anything related to Fox Mustang dash internals is Step 1: Remove entire dash assembly from vehicle. I've owned my SVO Mustang for 32 years, trust me, I've touched everything in it. Ford has been building hard to fix junk for decades, but oddly enough, I continue to own them...

Like it or not, Contours and Mystiques were designed to be built quickly and inexpensively in the body and assembly plants, this normally results in vehicles that are difficult to service, especially under the hood. Ford and the other's of the Big Three have very low per-unit profit margins for sedans and small cars. Trucks and SUV's are the high margin vehicles, so assembly costs for sedans and small cars have to be very low, or they would just stop making them.

When I was an engineer at Ford in the 90's, SUV's and trucks were so profitable per unit that some execs in the company were lobbying to completely cease making sedans and small cars.

No --> I have been "blessed" to never need to do that horror story repair on neither on 5 foxes. (I have been lucky), its been like hitting the lottery. lol Please don't JINX me hahaha Greetings fellow- FOX owner!!! =) Very cool on being an engineer at ford. Very nice 32 year owner SVO!!! I have owned this current FOX since 2003, for 14 years -- only made upgrades, H/C/I, gears, exhaust all the usual suspect mods. Them 5.0s never break or die. =)
As for my Mystique, My Dad was the original owner and took great care of the car, but its kinks are coming out now, slowly but surely. Car only has 100K miles. I guess, Im so use to having the stang and never running into repairs like this, because i usually do all the work myself and feel needy having to goto a repair shop for work or asking for help online. But, ah whatever... Its great having forums and people who can help you out in a time of need.
Thanks for your reply, Anthony

Brought car to shop saturday, and they checked for leaks, pressure/vacuum tested system w HVAC machine, It seemed ok- no leakage. They ran the green dye as well, no leaks. He refilled the system and stated that maybe air had gotten into system when dryer and hose was replaced. All is well now, compressor clutch not cycling on and off every 5 seconds anymore, He said the system was low on refridgerant. So now, we shall see what the deal is, after a few days and if it leaks out. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your help, ANTHONY

If the system was opened up it has air in it. Part of restoring the system is to put it under a vacuum. Once it holds then it can be filled.

Why didn't you mention that the cycling was 5 seconds? That is to much.

If the system was opened up it has air in it. Part of restoring the system is to put it under a vacuum. Once it holds then it can be filled.

Why didn't you mention that the cycling was 5 seconds? That is to much.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply... I didnt think of it, My Bad...
Anthony

'He refilled the system and stated that maybe air had gotten into system when dryer and hose was replaced.'

That's incompetence, it's impossible NOT to get air in it. If it has leaked down since the repair then likely it will do so again unless they found a leak on the 2nd go-round and then quietly fixed it without telling you. Finding a leak means the vacuum test not fully done, part is to let it sit to show a leak over time and often they skip that to leak all your refrigerant back out.

Typical loser shop work.

'He refilled the system and stated that maybe air had gotten into system when dryer and hose was replaced.'

That's incompetence, it's impossible NOT to get air in it. If it has leaked down since the repair then likely it will do so again unless they found a leak on the 2nd go-round and then quietly fixed it without telling you. Finding a leak means the vacuum test not fully done, part is to let it sit to show a leak over time and often they skip that to leak all your refrigerant back out.

Typical loser shop work.
I guess, I will know after some time...... if it all leaks out and compressor starts cycling again. And if so, the car goes back.

Back