• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0171 Oxygen sensor?

The P0135 code is gone. That was likely from running it when I had the O2 sensor disconnected.

The P0171 is back. I suppose I'll have to troubleshoot the O2 sensor

The PU1262 is also back. I notice the switch to the CNG system no longer works, so I think the Compuvalve as died, or got disconnected (I noticed a burnt wire on top of the engine that might go to the control for the Compuvalve. I'm going to try and splice that up tonight with an inline fuse.

Then bring to a local garage to troubleshoot the P0171.

Since its a Zetec you need to check the MAF if the O2 sensor is new. If its bad or needs to be cleaned it can cause O2 sensor codes for being lean.

I used a maf sensor spray to clean it last year when the code first popped up. anyway, I'm having my local garage take a look tonight. tags and reg have expired, so I don't have time to tweek and test on the road. I'll let guys with test equipment take a look.

Just got a call from the mechanic. Says they think it's the PCV valve... a 3 hour job and it may not solve the problem. Suggested not repairing the car. I'm looking around to see how easy it would be for me to replace the pcv valve. Looking on YouTube, it appears that accessing the PCV valve is indeed a PIA.

Picking up the car tonight - no charge. Debating on whther I want to put any more time into it.

I could get a PVC valve and go thru the hassle of installing it. $4, but 3 hours of cursing and sweating

I could get another MAF sensor. at a wrecking yard. All the efforts may or may not work.

Or I could just donate the car and get a tax write-off.

I could start stripping it for various parts that I have replaced over the past few years that I know work and put the bad ones back on. Recover some of the cost by selling them on eBay.

I kinda doubt its the PCV valve. On my 95 I never changed it, sold the car at 228k miles. But then again the OBDI doesn't seem as sensitive as OBDII. So take it as you will.

Also I know the PCV valve location isn't great, but I can't see it being a 3 hour job. Almost feels like the guy didn't want to be bothered with working on your car.

I didn't want to go thru the hassle of disassembling the manifold and water pump on just a hunch that it is the PCV valve. Got another car in the garage where I've been rebuilding the engine (93 Geo Metro) and my wife is tired of all the cars in the yard, so this morning Purple Heart Cars for Vets took it away.

I'll have some spare parts around that I'll probably put up for sale as I no longer need them. Only for local pickup - ie. practially new tire and rim, a windshield wiper set, a few other things....

Back